Routing?

Greg Pfeil

Routing?

Post by Greg Pfeil »

Ok so I have a question. Yesterday I was flying my 210 from SBP-LGB IFR. I had originally filed RZS V597 SLI. When I called for clearance I was told by Ground, that that routing would not work..me =??, But instead he re routed me RZS V186 ADAMM V394 SLI. Which was not a problem, just had to relay the new route to my gps. I am curious as to why that route would not work. I get all of my flight plans, from www.fltplan.com , the first flight plan up there was the one it recommended. I am just curious as to why I was not able to fly that route. Thanks
Jason Baxter

Re: Routing?

Post by Jason Baxter »

Routings into busy terminal areas are predicated on keeping flows/areas/corridors open for a certain type of traffic. Your route overflies VNY and parallel to BUR turning direct to SLI. In real life that route would cut across the final into LAX and put you head on with arrivals from the south as well as pinning down departures from the southern airports. Routing via ADAMM takes you around and under the traffic. Sometimes companies won't file the appropriate route either due to traffic (it's late you'll probably get it) or a lack of research.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

To fly into LGB, you'd need to be descending along V597 as you depart VNY heading to towards SLI. This would conflict with the LAX finals.

The published TEC route (SBAN40, which is what you were issued) takes you east of the arrival corridor.

If you go with the TECs, you'll never go wrong :) How that other routing was approved for the real world pilots, it's hard to say. I'm sure there are some circumstances where something other than TEC routes are issued from time to time, but unless they're part of documented SOP's or LOA's, we're not easily going to know what they are and have to fall back on using the TEC route as the bible.

Edit: touche, Baxter, touche.
Greg Pfeil

Post by Greg Pfeil »

Thanks for the quick replys.. Where.am I able to find listed tec routes?
Brandon Grchan

Post by Brandon Grchan »

Brandon Grchan
PilotEdge Air Traffic Controller
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

Also found in the A/FD at aeronav.faa.gov.
Andrew Doubleday

Post by Andrew Doubleday »

Hey Greg,

When you flew this leg the other night, I was training with a tower student. I did inform him that he should be more specific in explaining the reason for the re-route next time, but the reasons stated above explain what should have been said on frequency, the TEC route is going to supersede most of the time in a case like this.

Regards,

AJ
Andrew James Doubleday | aj@pilotedge.net
PilotEdge ATCS | University of North Dakota FAA CTI

Greg Pfeil

Post by Greg Pfeil »

No worries, and thanks for the help. Learning something every day flying on here, realism vatsim can not deliver. Thanks again