RelityXP GTN 750

EsqFlyer

RelityXP GTN 750

Post by EsqFlyer »

Hi. I am considering getting the RealityXP GTN 750 but read that it's database cannot be updated (such as with Navigraph.) So, my question is whether it is worth getting and flyable, or will the procedures/charts in the GTN be outdated and not usable?

Thanks in advance!
Shalem
zerofay32

Re: RelityXP GTN 750

Post by zerofay32 »

A lot of people here will say that it's a no/go to use out of date data on the network. My opinion is the opposite as long as you are aware that there may/will be issues to work around. I used FSX on the network for a several years, and only about two years with nav data that was from the current decade (purchased the Reality 430 for FSX due to a RL airplane I was getting checked out in having one)

If you are wanting to get the 750 to learn it, because RealityXP uses the actual Garmin Training software, it will be very true to the real unit. If your focus is only on simulation for entertainment then... eh. But it is true that Navigraph will not update the GTN (or the GNS for that matter) the training software gets updated about once a year. I personally feel that that is ok for PE. But it helps to know that as that data gets older, the less it will reflect what PE controllers use, still not a big deal IMO.

The key is checking routes with current charts and current Instrument plates (like with skyvector). 14 out of 15 times, there won't be any significant changes.

There are one or two ways to update the training software, with one being a subscription with Garmin themselves but for anyone that doesn't have a real unit, that option is way too expensive.
Andrew Fay
PilotEdge V-3; CAT-11; I-11; Skyhigh 10
Commercial Pilot/Instrument ASEL/AMEL- KOSU / Commercial sUAS
KIMCHI

Post by KIMCHI »

I have the GTN and there are plenty of other reasons to not get it. One is that out of all the planes that say it "supports" the 750 on one actually shows it correctly. I feel as though the support is like 90% of XP's payware planes, a half baked idea, with half baked updates, and forum support only. Most questions I ask are simple answered with "search the forums". I'm sorry but I bought a product I expect support from the vendor not searching an online forum where users are fighting over answers half the time. Save the money and buy a Foreflight subscription.
redge

Post by redge »

I run X-Plane on Mac OS and therefore was unable to purchase a RealityXP product. Initially disappointed, I now think that this was a blessing in disguise.

I happily have ForeFlight set up to receive GPS data from X-Plane, which is current because I'm using X-Plane default GPS with a Navigraph GPS subscription. The subscription is a pretty inexpensive 26€ per year.