help please grand junction 7 departure.. clarification requ

pkofman

help please grand junction 7 departure.. clarification requ

Post by pkofman »

I need some assistance
If I am cleared to fly the grand junction. 7 departure via the jnc for ( off runway 29 ) then do I have to fly the holding pattern at jnc
my clearance was kgjt jnc7.jnc v187 flight plan route krks

I my case the controller said cleared to krrks via the grand junction 7 dept climb via the Sid 14000 flight plan route etc etc
do I have the fly the holding patten .
Note that I was positive radar id after the departure

Hopefully someone can outline the condition in which it would be "mandatory " to fly the hold. I this I was cleared flight plan route so I proceed on the Sid and continued directly on v187 but I don't think the controller was happy with that. ( my computer also crashed at this exact moment ) so I did not get to finish my flight

note that the Sid says to fly to VOR JNC... thence transition ... route.....

Clarification please not sure about that holding pattern at JNC unless it was my clearance limit

Peter

Thank You Peter
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
Marcus Becker

Re: help please grand junction 7 departure.. clarification

Post by Marcus Becker »

At what altitude did you cross JNC VOR? MEA on V187 northbound is 10k. If you aren't at MEA or published MCA, fly the hold until you get there.
pkofman

Post by pkofman »

Marcus Becker wrote:At what altitude did you cross JNC VOR? MEA on V187 northbound is 10k. If you aren't at MEA or published MCA, fly the hold until you get there.

Excellent question but I think that I was very close if not above as I was on the way to 14000 .I just recall , Is that the rule in that the hold is in place to allow me to continue up to the mea. My clearance was the sid then as filed ( basically the airway) except maintain 14000. So I did not fly the hold and proceeded on v187. Perhaps I missed that but it does not say maintain x altitude BPOC .
The controller definitely did not specifically say hold until ...... so I went right through the for fix. But he definitely expected me to be in that hold!!
Pete

any thoughts
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I see no reference to the hold in the text of the SID at all. I would not hold unless the controller adjusted my clearance limit to the VOR and instructed me to hold as published. The MCA's only exist for V187 and V391 if you're southbound on those airways after the VOR (shown on the low-enroute).
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It's also worth pointing out that the SID has minimum climb gradients of 300fpm up to various altitudes (depending on the runway). If you adhere to those climb gradients, coupled with the fact that you've got 10+ miles to fly to the VOR, then you turn around, then fly 10nm back to the NE until you're even abeam the airport again, you're pretty much going to be at the MEA by that point in any case.

On that basis, plus the lack of any textual reference to the hold (unlike most SIDs where the holding is explicitly stated as to when it's required), I'm fairly certain that you're not to hold unless told.