ATIS volume

Kilstorm

ATIS volume

Post by Kilstorm »

On Xplane11 using the Reality XP GTN750 I can not find a way to turn down the ATIS volume and looking to see if anyone knows how to help with this. The volume control does not work and the controllers are at a perfect volume but the ATIS is extremely loud. I'm not sure if this is specific to just the GTN750 or Xplane. On P3D its not an issue.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Keith Smith

Re: ATIS volume

Post by Keith Smith »

Nate,

I was under the impression that the Reality XP GTN had working volume knobs. If not, feel free to set the Radios volume in xplane's general settings, or you can set the volumes, per radio, via any available dataref editor plugin.
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Keith,

I'll play with it some more today to see if I can get the volume knob to work. Thing is, the controller voices are fine so I really dont want to adjust the volume across the board and then have a hard time hearing the controllers. The main purpose of my post was to see if others are having that issue first and then any known work arounds without messing with the ATC sound levels.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Nate,

I don't change the volume at all, haven't noticed any issues. What I'm suggesting above is that you could configure a lower volume for COM2 and use that for the ATIS if you're hearing ATIS at a louder volume for some reason. This way you don't have to change the volume as you swap from ATIS to ATC, etc. I would be curious if anyone else is having the same issue for sure.
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

You're correct that the RXP GTN750 volume knob does work in XP11 to adjust volume of the Comm1. Yesterday when flying VR in the busy SoCal area I went to pick up ATIS at about 40nm out via being on my Carenado C210 Garmin 430 Comm2 radio and selected via the monitor Comm2 button on the GTN750. I got the loud ATIS but also the scratchy noise of the distance away from the station which is really really loud and makes you jump. So I tried to turn it down via the audio panel volume which did nothing. When I went to turn it down with the volume knob, I guess I had dialed in the Nav1 radio last so I was adjusting the audio for the Nav1 and not Comm1 which is something I just learned about now on the ground. So yes I can control volume of Comm1 with the GTN750 which I have set at about 50% for the controllers which is fine "IF" I also listen to ATIS on Comm1.

So I do have some choices but I guess I will just have to pick up ATIS in between controllers so I can use COmm1 instead of Comm2. I'm also going to look at if I can A) replace the Carenado default 430 with an RXP 430 and B) if it has a working volume knob for Comm2 or if I can put a GTN650 in as well and if it has a working volume knob for Comm2.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

Well I managed to solve the issue for my Comm2. To solved the loud Comm2 with no volume knob on the default 430 that comes with the Carenado C210 I enabled the GTN2 from the plugin drop down menu and selected the GTN750 which brought up a 2d window of the GTN750. It did not change the VC but it does allow control of the Comm2 volume using the volume knob. So I can set the volume and hide the 2d window and I am back in business. Hopefully this might help others who have the GTN750 as their main radio and want to use a default Comm2 radio that does not have a volume knob.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

This is a great time to ask payware aircraft manufacturers to start including volume knobs on the radios, too.