Headset Recommendations

Les Parson

Headset Recommendations

Post by Les Parson »

Greetings,

I am looking for good quality headset recommendations for Windows 10/64 PC for use with P3DV4. Side tone or mic monitoring (ability to hear yourself like the real world) is a definite requirement. I've watched YouTubes for Razer Kraken Tournament Edition, HyperX Cloud II and the Sennheiser PC37X. I ordered the latter thru Massdrop but may cancel the order as delivery via FedEx has been a nightmare.

Many thanks in advance / Les Parson
Keith Smith

Re: Headset Recommendations

Post by Keith Smith »

Mic monitoring is a pain as the native capabilities of Windows introduce just enough lag to make it unusable. FWIW, I have never missed the mic monitoring with my sim setup. Once you've established that the input device is working and that the controllers can hear you, there just isn't enough ambient noise (compared to the real world) to make mic monitoring all that useful, at least in my opinion. The sim is not the same as the airplane in terms of noise footprint, hence, I would encourage a fresh perspective and not necessarily require an identical configuration to the airplane.

If there's a reasonably-priced headset that has mic monitoring, then have at it, but short of that, I'd try to live without it.

If push comes to serve and you really want it, then you can't go wrong with your favorite aviation headset and a FlightCom 2 place or 4 place intercom (https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/produ ... -iisx.aspx, $20 cheaper than Aircraft Spruce, btw). This is the same intercom used by Precision Flight Controls in their AATDs. It's a fantastic intercom that integrates very cleanly with the PC through the aux in/out ports.
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

Hmmm, thanks. I've been doing some experimenting and I see what you mean.
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

I've used Turtle Beach for a year without a hitch. Windows 10-64 FSX
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Les Parson wrote:Greetings,

I am looking for good quality headset recommendations for Windows 10/64 PC for use with P3DV4. Side tone or mic monitoring (ability to hear yourself like the real world) is a definite requirement. I've watched YouTubes for Razer Kraken Tournament Edition, HyperX Cloud II and the Sennheiser PC37X. I ordered the latter thru Massdrop but may cancel the order as delivery via FedEx has been a nightmare.

Many thanks in advance / Les Parson
I own and use the Sennheiser PC 373D - 7.1 Surround Sound. They have the side tone you speak of. You can also adjust how loud the side tone comes across. I personally turn it off. but it does work well. It's priced pretty reasonably too at $130.00.

I love the deep base sounds these provide. I also use them when i fly my DCS Hornet and wow. Anyway Amazon delivered in two days. Make sure you download the drivers from their website.

I use win 10 pro 64 bit.

Dave

Sennheiser PC 373D - 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IBORI2O/re ... CCbBPN1QTV
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

Thanks for the info. As a matter of fact, my Sennheiser PC37X is scheduled for delivery tomorrow by your FDX ground (As a former airline guy, I know ground is a different world from air).