Cleared for Visual vs Cleared for Vectors to Visual?

knro

Cleared for Visual vs Cleared for Vectors to Visual?

Post by knro »

Today I returned to PilotEdge after a long break. I took an IFR flight from KNTP to KTUS @ FL290. Everything went smoothly. Toward the end of the trip, I was asked to descend to 8,000 feet. The controller cleared me for visual approach to run 11 Left. I responded back with the read-back, and then he corrected me "Cleared for Vectors to Visual Approach 11L".

I repeated that, but it threw me off. I kept thinking, ok, that must mean I can't do anything until I'm "vectored". So I remained as-is, following the filed flight plan and I was 20nm out, then 10nm, then 5, and then almost over the airport and I was not asked to descend or make any turns. I thought I must have made a mistake somewhere and maybe I should have descended.. but I wasn't handed over the tower yet. At any rate, I felt embarrassed and I just shut down the sim. After a bit I felt guilty and I thought I should have asked instead of making assumptions.. so what was the right course of action to take in "Cleared for Vectors to Visual Approach"?
rtataryn

Re: Cleared for Visual vs Cleared for Vectors to Visual?

Post by rtataryn »

That's a new one to me. :-) I'd love to hear the audio - What was your tail number and landing time?
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

I found the audio. It starts in the WUS audio from today at 1200 with about 3:20 remaining in that audio file.

So, you checked in with approach. His instruction to you was “cleared direct to TUS airport, descend and maintain 8000, vectors for visual approach runway 11L.” You read back “cleared visual approach runway 11L.” The first thing that should have raised a red flag in your head is that you need to have the airport in sight in order to be cleared for a visual approach. Since you hadn’t reported the airport in sight, there’s no way the controller could have cleared you for a visual approach. Had you thought this was the clearance, you should have come back and said “we do not have the airport in sight.”

Whenever a controller vectors you (in this case, turning you direct KTUS), they need to inform you of the reason for the vector. This was why he said “vectors for visual approach runway 11L.” He was killing two birds with one stone by giving you a reason for vector and an approach to expect all within the same phrase.

That appeared to be the last transmissions you had. My guess is the controller forgot about you. You were correct in maintaining your last assigned altitude, that was good! However, an easy way to prompt the controller when expecting a visual approach is to report the airport in sight. “Approach, n123 has the airport in sight.” This likely would have resulted in your visual approach clearance.

Overall, you did everything right and it was the controller who forgot about you. The key take-always are:
1. to always be thinking logically about things. Getting a visual approach clearance without having the airport in sight is like getting cleared for takeoff while still on the ramp. If something doesn’t make sense, ask the controller to clarify.
2. Don’t be afraid to prompt the controller or speak up if you feel like you should descend/turn/whatever. ATC and pilot’s must work together as a team. Don’t be afraid of ATC- they are there to help.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
knro

Post by knro »

Kevin,

You analyzed this perfectly, thank you! I'm a bit rusty since the last time I was on PilotEdge was quite a while ago and it must have thrown me off. Now I recall that other controllers usually ask me "Please report when you have the airport in sight" and I guess my controller thought that I would do that automatically.

Thanks a lot for taking your time to find the audio and comment on the flight, it's greatly appreciated! This what makes this network rocks!