New Line of Sight Comms

FDXDave

New Line of Sight Comms

Post by FDXDave »

Two questions for ATC.

1.) When I file an IFR Flight Plan, I understand that having "NEWRM" typed into the remarks sections, that that will op into the Beta version of this.
What if I file a VFR Flight plan and still place the "NEWRM" in the remarks section. Will this still enable the new line of sight radio system?
I ask due to the controllers don't look at VFR filed plans. So one could assume you have a word trigger in that section, so in reality, the controller doesn't actually turn it on and off, that it is more automated in nature. Or maybe I should notify the controller for a VFR flight, that I am requesting the NEWRM? What does "RM" stand for? Radio something....

2.) Using the new frequency ( 122.20 ) on the ground at an un towered airport. I understand I need to be sitting still, as this simulates making a phone call to ATC for clearance.
So when I call up ATC, what would be the call sign I should use? Today, I tried it, and just used the over laying Center ( Oakland CTR ). He did answer to that, But I think it might of actually of been a Norcal Appr area I was in... So depending on where I am, I would just look up the proper center. Or is there a better call sign to use with this Freq?

Keep up the great work. Thank you.

Dave.
Keith Smith

Re: New Line of Sight Comms

Post by Keith Smith »

1) VFR or IFR, the process doesn't change. The controller is not the one enabling the new radio model (that's what NEWRM stands for, btw), the SERVER is doing it based on the presence of the remarks.

2) You're calling the overlying controller who handles IFR traffic in or out of that area. You would address them just as you would if you were cold calling for an IFR clearance shortly after departure using the appropriate area frequency. Check out the approach plates for the airport you're departing from (or the nearest airport with instrument approaches). Use the facility name published on those plates.
FDXDave

Re: New Line of Sight Comms

Post by FDXDave »

Got it. That makes sense. Thanks.

Dave.