Special requests for training

louloizides

Special requests for training

Post by louloizides »

I'm a VFR student and just moved to a school at a towered airport. I have no issues with the standard script... ex. "Cessna ABC at the DEF ramp, ready to taxi westbound vfr departure..." etc.

Where I have problems is when the controller throws curve balls, like last minute changes that I have to adapt to. This could be as simple as changing from one traffic pattern or runway to another, or asking me to do a 360. And I'm sure there are lots of other situations I'm not thinking of.

Would it be acceptable for me to do some pattern work in Pilot Edge and ask the controller to purposefully try to confuse me to some degree? I know the PilotEdge staff is juggling a ton of territory as it is, so I want to make sure I go about this the best way. And if it is ok, what's the best airport to use?
Student Pilot
C150D N530RC
Keith Smith

Re: Special requests for training

Post by Keith Smith »

You're welcome to ask them to do this on frequency, just as you might in real life. I would use some discretion as to when you do it, though. If the controller is very busy working lots of other traffic, then I would wait for another time. Your best bet is probably a Western US airport as the radio is less congested than ZLA because the airports tend to be further apart.