Got disconnected and told to complete training due to distra

Daveslaine

Got disconnected and told to complete training due to distra

Post by Daveslaine »

Christ after a few successful flights and no problems.

This flight I was so distracted that for example I was told to descend via xxx arrival and I readback. Then call in 3 min later to say if I was given clearance to descend via STAR. Controller got pissed off and assumed I was unaware what I’m doing when really I was stupidly distracted with wife and kids.

Smh I know it’s my fault but still it was sort of quick to assume by the controller that I’m not familiar with IFR. I just got super distracted
Marcus Becker

Re: Got disconnected and told to complete training due to di

Post by Marcus Becker »

Probably prodding the bull here but let's say your were in a real airplane and you got distracted by a flight attendant or a really good joke by your F/O. Would you expect your controller to let you off the hook because of your multiple successful flights in the past? I wonder how the FAA would respond.
Nelajainen

Post by Nelajainen »

Marcus Becker wrote:Probably prodding the bull here but let's say your were in a real airplane and you got distracted by a flight attendant or a really good joke by your F/O. Would you expect your controller to let you off the hook because of your multiple successful flights in the past? I wonder how the FAA would respond.
He would be told "I have a phone number for you to call..." :)
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

So I am new here, still on my trial period.

So, in this case what should a pilot do? Enthusiast pilots like me are not always in an "uninterruptible position" , I am not in an aluminum tube above the earth or in a remote simulator. Stuff happens. CTDs, unexpected urgent interruptions, etc. On my last flight I requested to leave frequency for 2-3 minutes, which was granted (actually was checking weather). But, let's say I could not come back to my sim for what ever reason - can I just exit w/o consequence or is there a proper way to "exit stage left"? Canceling IFR at FL390 is not quite realistic.

Asking seriously to help determine whether or not it is a good fit both ways. Do really like what I am seeing, but, being honest.

Joe L.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Daveslaine wrote:Christ after a few successful flights and no problems.

This flight I was so distracted that for example I was told to descend via xxx arrival and I readback. Then call in 3 min later to say if I was given clearance to descend via STAR. Controller got pissed off and assumed I was unaware what I’m doing when really I was stupidly distracted with wife and kids.

Smh I know it’s my fault but still it was sort of quick to assume by the controller that I’m not familiar with IFR. I just got super distracted
If it happened the way you described, then it sounds like the controller assumed that you were unfamiliar with the procedure rather than it being the result of a distraction. We have a higher non-compliance rate with procedures here than occurs in the real world as a result of people jumping into jets before they're familiar with the procedures associated with flying them, so our controllers might sometimes attribute that as the source of an error rather than a slip of the mind or a distraction.

In the real world, if you were to verify that you'd been given clearance to descend via, the controller would simply say, "affirmative, descend via the [procedure name] arrival," and everyone would move on.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

JPL19 wrote:So I am new here, still on my trial period.

So, in this case what should a pilot do? Enthusiast pilots like me are not always in an "uninterruptible position" , I am not in an aluminum tube above the earth or in a remote simulator. Stuff happens. CTDs, unexpected urgent interruptions, etc. On my last flight I requested to leave frequency for 2-3 minutes, which was granted (actually was checking weather). But, let's say I could not come back to my sim for what ever reason - can I just exit w/o consequence or is there a proper way to "exit stage left"? Canceling IFR at FL390 is not quite realistic.

Asking seriously to help determine whether or not it is a good fit both ways. Do really like what I am seeing, but, being honest.

Joe L.
Joe, you can disconnect without saying anything if something comes up, or you can let the controller know (so that they're not wondering if you might return after an internet connectivity issue or something along those lines). While you're connected, the flight should be taken seriously, but if you need to discontinue the simulation for any reason, that's perfectly fine.
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

Keith Smith wrote: Joe, you can disconnect without saying anything if something comes up, or you can let the controller know (so that they're not wondering if you might return after an internet connectivity issue or something along those lines). While you're connected, the flight should be taken seriously, but if you need to discontinue the simulation for any reason, that's perfectly fine.
OK, thanks - that clears it up for me and makes the most sense.

Joe
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Hi Dave....I've got the family situation too so I don't fly on here much anymore but I really try to dedicate the time to PE if I'm going to do it. Obviously if something really pressing comes up with my fam or my wife needs me right away I'll just advise the controller and disconnect. I'd recommend doing that. I wouldn't recommend trying to multitask your family and PE - it can actually be difficult and creates a big workload for the controllers who, as of late, have been handling 10-20 planes at a time. I'm not a instrument rated pilot but do have a PPL ASEL and am an air traffic controller, so even though this is just flightsim land it can be frustrating on the controller side when they have to make multiple transmissions etc etc.

Again if you must disconnect just advise the controller and do it. I do it periodically as well! 8-)
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL