Never again on PE - share your mistakes

awreaper

Re: Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Post by awreaper »

I am going to Flight Aware now and pulling up the airport pair to see what they are flying in real life before I file.
Acroshaw

Post by Acroshaw »

Been doing that too and it helps enormously, they also have a feature where you can see the most common filed routes , incredibly handy for city pairs you've never flown before !
awreaper

Post by awreaper »

Here is one that got me the other night and I knew better. The controller was really busy and he blew me through the LOC for an ILS. I knew he was going to and started to say something before I got to it but I was enjoying the flight so I just hung back. He eventually recognized and told me to turn right to a certain heading. I was flying with the auto pilot and turned the bug to the correct heading. The right turn was the long way around and initially I started turning to the right as requested. Once I passed 180 degrees from my current heading on the bug it decided that a left turn was the quickest and started back to the left. I knew it does that but wasn't paying attention. I caught the left turn within a few seconds but not quick enough. The controller came on and said "53G turn right to XXX. I told you to turn right for a reason". :D
WagnerTenor

Post by WagnerTenor »

Ok, here is a dumb one. Flying into Avalon, I cancelled IFR and proceeded VFR. Changed Frequences to Unicom. Saw the other traffic and proceeded to almost most fly the plane into a mountain trying to communicate with the drones thinking I had the wrong frequency.

Live and learn :D
Steve McCreery

Post by Steve McCreery »

Hi,

I'm a newbie here, I managed the first flight ok from oceano but I totally messed up my 2nd flight, I was trying to get set up to do some pattern work. I got taxi directions to the runway but took off without clearance from Palomar tower. I felt way out of my depth and very nervous and got totally mixed up in my thinking, it's amazing how pressure can mess with your decision making :oops: I didn't get a chance to apologise to the controller, so sorry about the error, I feel like a total dummy but I'll be back in the air as soon I've read up on the training material and watched a few videos.

Cheers!

Steve.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the network. Consider working on the V-1 and V-2 flights. Once you've nailed the V-2, since you're new to the network, I'd suggest coming up with other variations of the V-2 flights, doing hops between Class D or Class C fields a few times before moving on to the V-3. If you feel out of your depth and are taking off without clearance, the training program is a good way to reinforce the fundamentals rather than trying to work it all out by yourself.
Bluestream

Post by Bluestream »

This is a bit of a weird one, I decided to do a practice run of the I2 (KSNA-KCRQ). This was my first IFR flight except for the I1 and I made a bunch of smaller mistakes like turning way before Oceanside VOR after being told to turn when passing it because I was too busy looking for the approach chart and I completely lost track of where it was when I got closer.

Anyway I ended up on the ILS approach for 24 and from the beginning everything looked good despite the fact that I couldn't see the runway even if visibility was good. As I got closer I started seeing the taxiways clearly but I still could not see the runway at all, and I remembered something about a warning to not confuse the runway and the taxiway from the notes on skyvector and thought it would pop up as I got closer. I was not expecting to see this http://imgur.com/JCuw43G. Had to disconnect right at the end.

I guess now I'll have to find out what's wrong with my scenery.. or maybe this is a good opportunity to try X-Plane for a bit!

Also another question, how do I know whether I'll get assigned an approach (ILS/Visual for example) or if I'm expected to request one? In this flight I got told to report back to approach when I had the weather for Palomar, but I didn't realise I was expected to request an approach as well.
BFG

Post by BFG »

Blustream I had a similar situation at Victorville the other day. My Orbx SoCal scenery wasn't turned on in the sim, so the mesh elevation was off. KVCV was taxiways surrounded by canyon walls, just like your photo.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Bluestream wrote:This is a bit of a weird one, I decided to do a practice run of the I2 (KSNA-KCRQ). This was my first IFR flight except for the I1 and I made a bunch of smaller mistakes like turning way before Oceanside VOR after being told to turn when passing it because I was too busy looking for the approach chart and I completely lost track of where it was when I got closer.

Anyway I ended up on the ILS approach for 24 and from the beginning everything looked good despite the fact that I couldn't see the runway even if visibility was good. As I got closer I started seeing the taxiways clearly but I still could not see the runway at all, and I remembered something about a warning to not confuse the runway and the taxiway from the notes on skyvector and thought it would pop up as I got closer. I was not expecting to see this http://imgur.com/JCuw43G. Had to disconnect right at the end.

I guess now I'll have to find out what's wrong with my scenery.. or maybe this is a good opportunity to try X-Plane for a bit!

Also another question, how do I know whether I'll get assigned an approach (ILS/Visual for example) or if I'm expected to request one? In this flight I got told to report back to approach when I had the weather for Palomar, but I didn't realise I was expected to request an approach as well.

X-Plane is GREAT! Lol

Concerning you needing to request an approach... Usually the ATC will assign the default approach in use unless pilot requests something other than that. With that said- this particular rating, the instructions told you to request the ILS 24:
"Short IFR Flight - This IFR rating involves a flight from KSNA to KCRQ, using a predescribed route and altitude. The pilot will then request the ILS RWY 24 approach at CRQ, and will receive vectors to the final approach course from ATC."

More info:
If weather allows, you can almost certainly expect the visual approach by default.... "Almost". It is easier for ATC, pilots and the NAS all around.

In the real world, the approach in use is broadcasted on the ATIS. You can expect the broadcasted approach but can always request something different and ATC will try to accommodate you.

There is a great site to use for your time on PilotEdge - http://www.myflightroute.com
There is an ATIS system on there. This is what the controllers are using.
Kyle Sanders
Turner

Post by Turner »

Ok... my turn.

On my first attempt at the I-02, I made two mistakes:

1) I was on autopilot and reviewing the approach chart, and then thought I might have heard SNA tower tell me to contact SoCal approach.

Checked my altitude, passing 3000... on the I-01 I was handed off way before that, so thought something I heard probably sounded like a handoff.

Switched to SoCal and was asked if tower had handed me off... they hadn't! Oops. But ok.

2) A few minutes later, was told Cleared Direct Oceanside. I misinterpreted this as meaning I could return to the V23 as filed... it didn't. Failed!

Jumped back in a few minutes later to re-fly and passed. But learned two good lessons.