Never again on PE - share your mistakes

ewandougie

Re: Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Post by ewandougie »

During my first attempt at the I10 I missread the decent profile and somehow forgot the VOR isn't on the airfield and almost put a King Air into the middle of the ocean.

Kinda embarrassing
Skye

<RandomAirline>1050
G-SKYE
N17SK
mcganz121

Post by mcganz121 »

Let me first start by saying that I just started using PE and plan on starting flight lessons this year. My local airport is KSNA.

I noted the Oceano to KSBP intro flight communications and flew it no problem. I thought it would be a similar procedure after watching the KSNA pattern example... So the taxi clearance was different than what I expected. Threw me off completely and was not prepared to note the taxi procedure. The tutorial has A - L and ground had RW20L at Kilo, via A - H - C. I wasn't able to comprehend the procedure. Lesson learned, always have a pen handy to note alternate instructions.

PE is such an awesome service. So lucky to have access to it.
KSNA PPL student
IG @mc_ganz
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

mcganz121 wrote:Let me first start by saying that I just started using PE and plan on starting flight lessons this year. My local airport is KSNA.

I noted the Oceano to KSBP intro flight communications and flew it no problem. I thought it would be a similar procedure after watching the KSNA pattern example... So the taxi clearance was different than what I expected. Threw me off completely and was not prepared to note the taxi procedure. The tutorial has A - L and ground had RW20L at Kilo, via A - H - C. I wasn't able to comprehend the procedure. Lesson learned, always have a pen handy to note alternate instructions.

PE is such an awesome service. So lucky to have access to it.
Very good lesson learned. Trying to predict what ATC will say is a good thing but be prepared to get something different. In this case, taxiway A at SNA is usually kept clear of GA aircraft, allowing the airliners to push back on to A for startup.
Kyle Sanders
Mortified666

Post by Mortified666 »

Finishing up a live stream after doing a number of flights and spending a good 6 hours on the service. It was about 10pm in Sim and I had just parked up and turned everything off at John Wayne when i noticed something odd out the corner of my eye.

Check the vid - https://youtu.be/DSqIezB-Ql0
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Mortified666 wrote:Finishing up a live stream after doing a number of flights and spending a good 6 hours on the service. It was about 10pm in Sim and I had just parked up and turned everything off at John Wayne when i noticed something odd out the corner of my eye.

Check the vid - https://youtu.be/DSqIezB-Ql0
Ahh, the good ol floating planes.

Turning on "Runways follow terrain contours makes that go away. I'll be sure to check out your stream.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Mortified666

Post by Mortified666 »

Floating plane didn't bother me. Seen that a few times and yes I have follow contours active. It was that 1 plane had no lights on, even in the day this is illegal and the second took off in the grass. Just found it hilarious to watch.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

"Disable sloped runways: go to Settings→Rendering Options, make sure “Runway follows terrain contours” is NOT selected (otherwise, you will appear to be underground to other aircraft, while other aircraft will be floating 20ft above the runway for you). NOTE: this requires an X-Plane restart."

Per- http://www.pilotedge.net/pages/download-software-xplane
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (142.16 KiB) Viewed 8834 times
Kyle Sanders
Mortified666

Post by Mortified666 »

How not to engage your Autopilot in the Baron B58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJmq7o5rOQ
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

Mortified666 wrote:How not to engage your Autopilot in the Baron B58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqJmq7o5rOQ
Thanks for sharing! I'd say that was a pretty terrible time to go heads down and attempt to troubleshoot the autopilot, but you probably know that now. :)

Is it possible that the AP was on and in ALT mode during the takeoff roll and you were fighting it while it was feeding in nose down trim in the climb? Then you disengaged it and released the pressure you were holding, thinking you were engaging it, and the nose down trim took over? The "caution" you hear twice in the video is the AP disconnecting. The flight director would seem to indicate HDG and ALT on from the start of the video, and the trim is not moving while you're pressing the up button.
Mortified666

Post by Mortified666 »

The AP was still left over from my previous flight. I had just landed at KONT, disengaging the AP with a 1500FPM decline and hand flying it visual into the runway. Lodged my next plan, checked fuel and load. Got my clearance and rushed out. Completely forgetting to reset the AP settings then engaging at less then 1000 feet. It all ends in disaster. But lesson learned :D

EDIT: It is actually one of the reasons I started streaming in the first place. Not only to share my flying experiences with others. But as an opportunity to go back and watch my mistakes and see where I made them. As with most crashes. There is not 1 single thing that leads to an accident. It is a culmination of little mistakes. That way I can learn from them and hopefully not make them again.