Never again on PE - share your mistakes

zaruthoj

Re: Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Post by zaruthoj »

Good point about calling on Guard. That would have been a much more sure-fire way to re-establish comms, and would have allowed me to diagnose the failure more quickly.

Regarding declaring an emergency and landing, I was worried about the risk given the heavily trafficked airspace I was in. In real life, would ATC notice that I had dropped off of comms, had no transponder, but was still on radar? Based on that, would they assume lost comms and clear airspace for me?
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

With the loss of power, they would Loose your data tag but would likely still have your primary radar return. After trying to contact you a few times about the loss of a data tag, I'm sure they would figure it out.
Kyle Sanders
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm not sure what gives out first in the airplane, transponder or radio. We haven't modeled the degradation of the transponder signal on PE, only the radio so far.
ehammersley

Post by ehammersley »

Here's my mistake.

First flight on Pilotedge, doing the CAT-01. Apparently my PE client dropped sync with P3D? Don't know, I had some trouble with the sim when I started out so it's possible. Anyway, never again will I make that mistake. I need to figure out a way to test that connection prior to starting. Sitting here in L88 just staring at my flight plan stuck on departing. :(
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

If you open the PE map, you can at least check if you are indeed connected and if you are shown at the correct position.

http://map.pilotedge.net/map/
ehammersley

Post by ehammersley »

Did that after I landed. I was there on the map, sadly I was just shown as still sitting at L52 even though I was at L88. The client showed that I was connected the whole time, no errors. I did start to have concern when at 10m when I had NAV1 on 122.9 but the client still showed me on .7 from takeoff.

I'm not sure what happened. Something seems to have hung. That can be my connection (sim to PE client) test though next time. Change my comms and make sure the client sees the change. Will tell me it's getting data, and coupled with the map suggestion hopefully I can catch it next time.
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

FWIW, on Sunday I experienced some of the strangest anomalies I have yet to encounter here on PE. Audio issues, scenery issues, crazy AI traffic... maybe it was just a tough day on the network?
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There was a runaway process on the server that was causing massive load times on the server (not related to the PE flight data server or voice server). I suspect that would be the cause.
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

Did the Cat 8 today (well, 99% of it in the first try :D), and all went fine until I intended to leave RWY 08 in KBUR. I was a bit fast and missed D7, planned for B but accidentally made my left exit on RWY 33. :oops: Of course that ended in a well-deserved fail.

That was really embarrasing, but luckily I did better on the second try by slowning down soon enough.
Vaillant

Post by Vaillant »

CAT10 was a little harder than anticipated and made it a bit more complicated than the old V3 rating.
The first leg was easy though control was extremely busy. On departure from Van Nye I was so focused on reaching 5500ft that I didn't pay attention to the C airspace above the D. Keith was busy and did request a frequency change but when I made contact with approach I was well within the C. I returned to KVNY and was allowed to restart from here. Thank you Keith for taking the time to explain what I did wrong.
I restarted and being so weary of busting the altitude I ended well pass the entry point for the coastal route remaining under the B. I had to turn back, get out of the B shell climb to 5500 and they got cleared (barely) to enter the B. The rest of the flight was without any other issues, however control was so busy and tomorrow is going to be madness. To the lady controller who covered the rest of the flight thank you! It's always a pleasure to hear your voice and you are so patient with everybody.
Thanks again for all the fun and learning Keith and team.