Never again on PE - share your mistakes

arb65912

Re: Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Post by arb65912 »

Perfectly understood but what would be the "safe" amount of time to run battery to set frequencies etc. before engine start?
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Gentlemen, here we go, an hour ago I landed at MMTJ ( Mexico ) instead of Brown KSDM ...... mistook the MMTJ for KSDM. I have heard that it happens in real life.... I was so ashamed ... I asked Controller if it was OK to take off VFR and request landing at KSDM, Keith ( I believe it was Keith) said yes and all went fine from there....
Moral - obvious, make sure you see what you think it suppose to be. :oops: Cheers, AJ
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

arb65912 wrote:I believe it was Keith
Guess again...
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Alex? :D
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Leave your lights off and you should be able to run without the engines or apu long enough to get a clearance. As long as your voltage remains above 80%-85%, then you are good. Enable the data input and output to see the voltage to get a feel for the burn rate on the battery.

Unfortunately, not all aircraft designers enter the right amperage draws for the various components.

In real life, it is not a prob to pick up clnc with engines off ina GA aircraft.

Regarding mmtj, that is a good lesson to learn. The two airports have a different number of runways, and different runway numbers. It is a good last minute sanity check... "why is there only one runway?" "why does the rwy number not match?"
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you, Keith, I will keep an eye on the battery, I will do everything possible before engine start.

Re MMTJ .... I saw that something was wrong because airport layout seemed to be mirrored but since it happens in X-Plane a lot, I thought it was "normal"

BTW, I am flying now and I can not contact controller... is voice server down?

Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There was an unscheduled reboot that occurred about 30 minutes ago, but that was well after the issue you reported. As far as I know, ATC has been online all day, and have pilots have been flying throughout the day. Did you try other frequencies, and did you try to disconnect and reconnect?
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Keith, not a big deal but since you asked. Yes, I did try CLRNC, GRD, TWR several times, I disconnected from PE and connected again repeating above frequencies. I took off and few minutes after staying on 122.70, I contacted SoCal Approach on the frequency listed on the Skyvector. Since there there was no problems. I think it was some very temporary issue.

A little off subject question, I remember in the previous discussions that you mentioned ability to file VFR flight, many times, I flew on PE and if ATC did not issue a strip for me from the beginning ( flight following ), my flights were not recorded.
I am not trying to rake hours flying on PE but I would like to see the history of my flights which is not possible now since they are 90% VFR flights.
I am not pushing anything, just wonder if you are still going to utilize that feature.
Cheers, AJ
andyw248

Post by andyw248 »

I'm working on my RW instrument rating and use PE to practice radio communication and procedures. My equipment includes XReality's GNS 430 as my training airplanes are equipped with the GNS 430 as well.

Today, while flying from KWJF to KSMX, I forgot to program the last VOR fix, GVO, into my GPS FPL. When passing the last fix before that, RZS, the GPS would instruct me to turn directly to KSMX, which I blindly followed without double checking against NAV2 or on the chart. The controller spotted my error and asked me about my heading, which is when I first noticed my oversight. However, not yet familiar with operating the GNS 430, I was unable to quickly insert the missing fix into my FPL without deviating too much from my hdg and alt, so I resorted to just switching the GPS to radio VOR and intercepted the airway.

I'm glad I made this mistake in PE instead of a RW flight. Learning and practicing by my own mistakes is the exact reason why I appreciate PE so much.

Cheers
Andreas
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Just a quick one .... I was flying an approach and missed clearly shown waypoint... make sure you look at the plate carefully, I felt stupid, I looked the the STAR and it was right there in front of me ....
Cheers, AJ