Never again on PE - share your mistakes

awreaper

Re: Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Post by awreaper »

I will share my latest goof up. I have a homemade instrument panel and a homemade yoke. Last week I started having problems with my ailerons. I suspected it was the pot that controlled the aileron movement. I am a RW pilot and use checklists extensively but on this flight I didn't check my control movements (yep that is an item on the checklist). All was well on my takeoff roll but as soon as I rotated, the aircraft banked hard right and I crashed in to the ground. I probably wouldn't have survived that in the RW. Needless to say that I am now using the checklists just as I would in the RW and I double and triple check my control movement. I wonder what the tower controller thought when my airspeed went from 70 to 0 and my altitude when from about 50 to 0 suddenly. :D
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

I knew I'd wind up here sooner or later, lol.

Socal departure: 7PC hold for release, if not off by xxxx.... frequency change approved
7PC: frequency change approved, 7PC
7PC: Corona traffic, piper 757PC holding short of rwy 7 for departure, any traffic at Carona
Socal deaprture: 7PC check your frequency, you are still will socal

During my i11 for a little extra "idiot" factor.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

It happens. However, they "any traffic at Corona" call isn't a good idea. Listen to the CTAF, look out the window, make your announcement and go.

Asking if anyone is in the traffic pattern is not good practice and doesn't scale well. Search google for "any traffic in the pattern please advise" and see the results.
carguy4471

Post by carguy4471 »

Keith Smith wrote:It happens. However, they "any traffic at Corona" call isn't a good idea. Listen to the CTAF, look out the window, make your announcement and go.

Asking if anyone is in the traffic pattern is not good practice and doesn't scale well. Search google for "any traffic in the pattern please advise" and see the results.
I would have to agree with you in the context of real life. This isn't a call I'd normally make. On PilotEdge however after listening to CTAF I ask as I have bumped into pilots tuned to CTAF but not making calls. It's probably not a good idea though to create new habits that aren't necessarily good ones in real life.
wdhurley

Post by wdhurley »

I am curious about an error I made tonight. I filed KAVX SXC V21 KSLI. I departed runway 4 putting me near on top of SXC and V21. I read the ODP that stated RWY heading to 2300 then turn on course. I was at about 2400 as I crossed V21, so I decided to turn inbound on V21. The controller wasn't happy with this, as the minimum altitude for V21 is 4000. I'm not completely certain what I should have done. Thoughts?
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

wdhurley wrote:I am curious about an error I made tonight. I filed KAVX SXC V21 KSLI. I departed runway 4 putting me near on top of SXC and V21. I read the ODP that stated RWY heading to 2300 then turn on course. I was at about 2400 as I crossed V21, so I decided to turn inbound on V21. The controller wasn't happy with this, as the minimum altitude for V21 is 4000. I'm not completely certain what I should have done. Thoughts?
It would help if you included the actual clearance received from the controller. Details matter here.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

wdhurley wrote:I am curious about an error I made tonight. I filed KAVX SXC V21 KSLI. I departed runway 4 putting me near on top of SXC and V21. I read the ODP that stated RWY heading to 2300 then turn on course. I was at about 2400 as I crossed V21, so I decided to turn inbound on V21. The controller wasn't happy with this, as the minimum altitude for V21 is 4000. I'm not completely certain what I should have done. Thoughts?
Technically, you should proceed to SXC (which would've been behind you by quite a few miles at that point) if you were cleared as filed while on the ground. However, practically speaking, that makes little sense. I'm not sure why the controller was upset that you joined V21. The MEA is absolutely irrelevant. The controller isn't responsible for your terrain and obstacle separation unless they're vectoring you, so I'm not sure why they'd be unhappy about you joining V21 under your own navigation. I'll ask Peter to check it out.

It wouldn't have been a bad idea to say, "we'd like to join V21 right here rather than doubling back to SXC," but I'm still surprised the controller had an issue with it.
wdhurley

Post by wdhurley »

wmburns, I was cleared as filed. When I got caught on the carpet, I was so flustered, I don't remember what he told me exactly without going back through the tapes. I just knew I messed up and was trying to pull up the ODP to understand where I went wrong. I am a PPL in real life with little IFR time but thought I knew what I was doing out of AVX. The interesting thing is, I did the exact same procedure for my I-8 and got a pass with nothing said about a direct turn onto V-21. That's what brought on my confusion.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The I-8 would not have been onto V21, it would've been V208, but I see what you're getting at.
Acroshaw

Post by Acroshaw »

Flown two TEC routes on consecutive days and made a whole host of mistakes that I thought I would share! The first one yesterday was Palm Springs to John Wayne, on the taxi I was going to runway 31L at bravo, via Echo and Bravo, I mistakenely thought I was cleared to cross the end of runway 31R and was duely chastised. After that, I was flying the good old cathedral 1 departure which has caught me out before, and before I got to EMRUD I was high enough that the controller cleared me to my first fix, however he gave me a vector first, then cleared, I just went direct and got roasted again. Feeling it was going to be one of those nights I proceeded to John Wayne without further events until the decent and localizer intercept, which I overshot because I descended at quite slow speed but when I levelled out I was too fast, so lesson number three, try and keep your speed consistent to help the controller vector you successfully!
Tonight I went from John Wayne to Santa Barbara, hoping for a better performance, and all in all it was. However i got caught out by the TEC route, which is this:SLI V23 LAX V299 VTU VTU282R KWANG, however when you goto skyvector via the handy link, what you get is this: ANAHM6 SLI V165 POPPR V23 HERMO V25 LAX V299 SADDE V299 VTU V27 KWANG . The difference is the bit between VTU and KWANG, it adds a corner that is not there in the TEC route I filed. I needed to follow the 282R to KWANG, not go on the V27 to HENER , DEANO and then to KWANG. I am sure I made a similar error the first time I tried a TEC route from Palm Springs to John Wayne, so the lesson is clear, double check what you file against your flight plan, and don't trust links to skyvector!!! Everytime I fly on PE I learn something, which is great, but I would like the odd perfect flight , it's out there somewhere :)