Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Calvin Waterbury

Re: Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

My "never again" story is I will never again underestimate PE! You just can't fudge it through like you could on VATSIM. ATC had to remind me more than once to set my transponder to "XPDR" after take off which exposed the fact I skipped the checklist. :lol:

PilotEdge is serious fun!
Pssst! Keith, use this as a royalty-free slogan if you like. [vbg]
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

It is probably obvious for many pilots ... when switching frequency, say your call sign and flight level, for example, "Socal Approach , N5067Q, level 9,500"
I was reminded today to do so, will remember now. :)
Colin Payette

Post by Colin Payette »

The thing I'm learning is not to go anywhere without a taxi diagram and an idea of where you want to park.
Warrior N1021C | Cub N0614 | Lear N021Q
Private Pilot - Blog
FSX SP2
Calvin Waterbury

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

I was on descent @ 1550 EST to Borrego Valley (L08). I had pulled power to lose alt. I trimmed for a fast descent and was intending to adjust trim as speed approached the red line. The air was calm, so I didn't have too much concern of being in the yellow. At the same time I was advised of traffic at my 3:00 less than a mile and shifted my focus (that's a fancy way of saying I got distracted) to locate the traffic. "CRACK!" went the sound of wings going their own way as they no longer wanted to be close to the fuselage they had been so attached to for so long. Yep, I got caught by OVERSPEED because I wasn't watching my descent rate, but the truth is I let the airplane get ahead of me. Nuts.

Well I guess it's a lesson earned (that's no typo) and soon as I get out of traction, I'll be back on PE. :lol:

PS - I just redid the flight and almost duplicated my mistake because when I looked down the airspeed was right next to redline. I'm thinking I am being fooled by the terrain.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

I might be wrong but looking at Skyvector, there is a terrain and MOA close by.
What I would do instead of trying to descend fast, I would start flying the "pattern" at whatever your altitude was gradually descending to pattern altitude and then fly regular pattern and land.

The other way, I would circle BOREN 3192 MSL until ready for the pattern entry.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Calvin,

When you're ready to start your descent in your 172, simply reduce your power and touch nothing else. The nose will drop, you will enter a descent, but your speed should remain virtually unchanged.

For a stabilzed, trimmed configuration:
Power = altitude
Pitch = speed

So, when you want to change your altitude, simply change your power :)
ianbennett

Post by ianbennett »

Hi,

Last night I did a VFR flight from KSBP to KSMO, and I would like some advice/comments about my flight mistakes:

1) Departure:
On my first call to KSBP Ground (Class D airspace), what exactly should I and should I not say.
I said:
"San Luis Ground, Cessna 4975 Fox, at West Ramp, 4 people on board for a VFR flight to Santa Monica, requesting Taxi"
Did I say to much or not enough. (I did not have ATIS, should I informed negative ATIS).
Ground answered:
"4975F, Rwy 25 in use, Taxi to Rwy 29 via JEF" (ok you have to see San Luis Taxi chart to understand this one, Rwy 25 starts just at Rwy 29, see the chart"
I answered, and made my first mistake:
"Taxi to 29 via JEF" , I did not repeat Rwy in use 25, in fact I was confused about which runway was in use because I was not expecting to be instructed to Taxi to F if Rwy 25 was in use"
Then when arriving in front of Rwy 29, I requested permission to cross Rwy 29, I was reminded by the controller that I was already cleared to cross 29. (second mistake), but since I was not sure it is always better to check before crossing a Rwy.

2) In route Class E:
When leaving San Luis air space the controller informed me I can leave his frequency.
Ok from this point on I was in Class E airspace at 3500ft. I am unclear on the frequency (if any) I should tune into. As I understand I can turn off my Radio at this time but what if I want traffic alerts, weather update etc ... can someone explain what are the services I have access to and the Frq to use (FSS, EFAS etc... all this is unclear for me).

3) in route crossing a Class C:
Then I crossed a Class C airspace at Santa Barbara, I was at 3500ft, before entering I called up APP on 120.55:
"San Barbara approach, Cessna 4975F, requesting clearance to cross your Class C airspace from GVO Direct to VTU at 3500ft"
Controller cleared me:
"Cessna 4975F you are cleared maintain 2600ft or above VFR” , not sure of the exact answer I got but something like this
My answer was:
“Cessna 4975F, cleared at or above 2600ft VFR”
I think this was my 3rd mistake, as I understand to cross a Class C airspace I do not need a clearance but a radio contact. But I am unclear on exactly what I should have requested and how. Any comments ?

4) Arrival at Santa Monica:
When arriving at Santa Monica, I called , and called and called Tower, Unicom, I even tried SOCAL approach, no answer..
I entered the Class D airspace and landed. My 4th and last big mistake ….
In fact I presumed that I had lost internet connection with PilotEdge, after the flight I understood that in fact my newly configured Cessna had no alternator!!
During my flight my Annunciator light VOLTS in red was on, I did cut down electrical load and tried turning off and on my alternator without success. I presumed it was just a wrong configuration in the simulator.
During arrival I forgot about this and presumed I had no radio contact because of an internet connexion issues.
I should have turned the aircraft around, stay clear of all B,C,D airspace and landed at a none controlled airport !!

This will be a big lesson for me in PilotEdge = Do everything as if in real flight , do not assume connexion errors or so, this is a professional service.

I think I learned a lot during this flight and had a lot of pleasure, your comments on my mistakes will help me understand better what I did wrong.

Thank you to the controllers for your patients with me, I hope I am up to PilotEdge even so I do some errors.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Great comments. I am a student pilot and I am learning but I can share few thoughts with you.

"San Luis Ground, Cessna 4975 Fox, at West Ramp, 4 people on board for a VFR flight to Santa Monica, requesting Taxi"
I do not think that the information about how many people are on board is necessary. I wonder what others will say about it.

Ground answered:
"4975F, Rwy 25 in use, Taxi to Rwy 29 via JEF".......
Then when arriving in front of Rwy 29, I requested permission to cross Rwy 29, I was reminded by the controller that I was already cleared to cross 29.

I do not understand that part, you were cleared to taxi to rwy 29, I thought that after you arrive at rwy 29 , you just hold short, switch to tower frequency and say that you are holding short , ready to take off.
Where did the crossing come from, I do not understand that part.

Ok from this point on I was in Class E airspace at 3500ft. I am unclear on the frequency (if any) I should tune into.
I was told in the past that one the most common air to air frequency is 122.75 so I would use that one but you can opt to switch to CTAF or Tower frequencies while you are overflying different airports to see what is the activity there.

Lack of alternator ... same thing happened to me, radio just quit, I was calling ATC like an idiot.... my fault.
I think I would land at class D using CTAF frequency but I am sure there will be more professional comments on that.

Great lesson overall. PE is the best! Cheers, AJ.
Nicholas Cavacini

Post by Nicholas Cavacini »

One thing to remember is that once your radio is out because of the lack of alternator, you can not transmit or receive so I don't understand why you would land on the CTAF. I would suggest landing at an uncontrolled field in this instance.
Nicholas Cavacini
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thanks for the input, Nicolas. If there is no radio.... no reason to talk about frequencies.Another thing learned. :)