Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Re: Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Postby Peristarkawan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:34 am

So, I flew the I-06 rating last night and made a real mess of things. My troubles started on the takeoff roll. There was a moderate crosswind, yet it was trying its best to flip my 172 and I ended up on the right wheel briefly before taking off. (Have you figured out my mistake yet?)

After take-off from 25L I couldn't seem to stay over the runway no matter what I did and kept floating off to the north over 25R. Meanwhile, I found that I was having to apply tons of downward trim to keep to a reasonable climb pitch, and my airspeed was way low, below Vx. (Have you figured out my mistake yet?)

Finally at about 1,200 feet I realized what was happening and I retracted the flaps. :oops: I know one doesn't normally retract them all at once while climbing, but I was at 1,200 feet over the coast and figured it was safe. The degree of the shift from climbing to plummeting still took me by surprise, though. It's an experiment that I've never actually tried before, and so it was educational to see just how much altitude I lost.

The next thing that went wrong: while I was busy troubleshooting my flaps problem, I overflew the SMO radial specified in the departure. The CDI went from full right deflection to full left deflection without my noticing. I didn't realize just how close the radial was on the departure and when I did glance at it, I got mixed up and just thought "full left deflection, I haven't reached it yet" and happily kept flying the 250 heading until the controller helpfully reminded me to turn.

Then there was some confusion where I continued to maintain 3,000 feet even after I started the turn. The departure procedure reads "All aircraft expect further clearance to filed altitude 5 minutes after departure" so I was waiting for the controller to clear me up to 4,000 feet as filed. Instead the controller called up to confirm that I was climbing up to 4,000, at which point I confirmed and started the climb. Did I misinterpret the procedure here?

From then on, everything went smoothly -- right up until I landed at KSNA. Somehow during the flight the parking brake got toggled on, and I touched down with full braking. Chalk that one up with "things that would never happen in the real world".

But despite all this comedy of errors, at least I passed the rating. 8-)
Peristarkawan

Postby Shawn Goldsworthy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:18 am

In your IFR clearance you would have gotten "Climb via SID except maintain 4000". So, you meet that 3000 ft restriction at the SMO 154R, then continue your climb to 4000. I remember, because I worked you out of KLAX last night ;)
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Shawn Goldsworthy

Postby Keith Smith » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:02 pm

That, and 172's generally don't use flaps for takeoff unless it's a soft or rough field. :)
Keith Smith

Previous

Return to Pilots