Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Re: Never again on PE - share your mistakes

Postby JMieras » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Hello, Switched freq without hand off while under radar control during the CAT6. Failed on the spot. Controller unimpressed.

Task saturation is a real thing.

PE is inappropriate time to figure out how a GTN750 works.

Generally speaking, flying over mountains works better than THRU them.

JMieras, CAT5...edit to remove double negitive
John Mieras, USN Ret.
R/W Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic.
N1343F-C172(Carenado) N6092U(JFPA-28-181)
RSG GTN750, GCU47, GFC700 i7 4.3 8something GTX1060
JMieras

Postby frantzy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:05 pm

Over 1000 RW hours and 10,000 sim hours but I just committed a bad pilot deviation in my second week on PE.

Cleared KSEA visual 34R in a 737. Selected in the FMS but for some reason neglected to select the LOC course as backup for the visual. Mistake number 1.

Got the runway in sight but had a bit too much speed and slightly overshot the runway extended center line. Mistake number 2.

Tracked back to align to runway but had hardware issue with gear handle that took a few moments to resolve, leaving me with excess speed to bleed off. Mistake number 3.

Got everything sorted or so I thought until the controller pointed out I was about to land on 34C, the wrong runway. :oops:

I locked in on the first runway I saw from 10 miles out but it was the wrong one the whole time.
Really embarrassing mistake. :roll:

Mike F.
frantzy

Postby wrs2 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:01 pm

Having been flying for many years in tower controlled fields I felt rather comfortable to give the Cat-3 pattern work a run as someone new to PE environment. However, this day ATC was very busy throughout SoCal. On each of my three departures was told to report mid-field downwind. However, each time the control had many calling and I could not really reach tower till and chose to extended downwind. This prompted a failure. The AIM says on towered controlled fields the pilot does not report each leg only a leg requested. As such I should fly the standard traffic pattern even if I cannot reach tower. Tower will advise of other traffic departing, in the pattern or arriving and provide a position number and cleared to land. My actual experience for many years even at very busy class C airports was that tower would always be free enough to provide guidance after a mid field reporting. The PE system is great but having a controller handling so much airspace you can have situations arise that are not often seen in real flying. Nonetheless the AIM provides guidance. Fly the pattern at a controlled field and if not cleared to land by final go around.
wrs2

Postby Keith Smith » Tue May 26, 2020 9:29 am

wrs2, we were able to review your specific case. The controller advised you a couple of times not to extend the downwind in instances where you couldn't do the midfield check-in, however, it appears that you continued to extend the downwind leg in instances where you hadn't been able to make a call. That was the reason for the grade, not because you didn't report midfield. The controller was aware that the radio was tied up as you were passing midfield. You should fly a regular pattern and then go-around if you don't have a landing clearance. And yes, I agree, this happens on PE considerably more often than it would happen in real life because of the traffic level and staffing situation.
Keith Smith

Previous

Return to Pilots