KPSP departure query

seajunk

KPSP departure query

Post by seajunk »

Hi All,
Im curious about the KPSP/KSFO route that airlines fly daily.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SKW ... /KPSP/KSFO

The flight plan doesn’t include a SID (cathedral1) and it doesn’t look like any of the flights on that route are assigned to fly it by ATC. Their departures look like “fly runway heading” then right turn either direct Yucca or intercept V386.

How mandatory are SID’s and under what circumstances would ATC give you one if you hadn’t filed?
What could I expect from a PE controller in this circumstance? Maybe the easy answer there is fly it on the network and find out…

Thanks
Keith Smith

Re: KPSP departure query

Post by Keith Smith »

The data we have says that IFR deps from 31L/R are assigned the CATH1 departure. A phone call to Palm Springs Air Traffic Control tower confirmed this (the controller who fielded my call was issuing clearances in the background, we had to pause the conversation twice).

ALL IFR deps from 31L/R are assigned the CATH1 SID unless the pilot requests the THERMAL SIX departure.

Now, once you're airborne, if you're climbing well, Socal Tracon will absolutely give you a shortcut and get you on your way. The SID is designed for slow climbers and provides a safe, non-radar route to depart the area. Under normal ops with a healthy climb, you're going to cut shortcuts galore. This is pretty much how we run it on PE, too.

I asked why the routes on FlightAware didn't reflect the cleared route, but she wasn't sure. I didn't push too hard as the reason isn't critical. The core question was addressed and I didn't want to keep her on the phone any longer than necessary since she was on position.
seajunk

Re: KPSP departure query

Post by seajunk »

Thanks Keith for the above and beyond reply.
I managed to listen to the liveatc.net archives and sure enough they're all assigned CATH1 SID's on clearance. When they contact departure (archived as kpsp1-app-high) the climbers get the shortcuts. Fascinating stuff.
Thanks again.