declaring an emergency

FDXDave

declaring an emergency

Post by FDXDave »

So yesterday i figured I'd challenge myself by having an engine catch fire. Something I've never done before. So since i was already with a CTR i advised him of the situation. And he asked for souls on board and fuel and runway requirements. I had also switched to Squawk 7700. So after we got the main things handled, he told me to Squawk my previously assigned Code.
So all in all it went well, i landed better with one engine than i usually do with two lol.
So my only question is was i wrong to Squawk 7700?. Maybe that is reserved for those who are not talking to anyone and switches to guard?. Probably didn't need to switch the code at all since i was instructed to return the code.
Anyway the controller made it fun. It's been awhile since I've felt nervous at the helm : )
Dave
Kevin_atc

Re: declaring an emergency

Post by Kevin_atc »

From a pilot’s perspective, I’m not sure what the FARs say regarding the 7700 code, but I’m pretty sure it is meant for those not talking to ATC because if you’re already in contact with us, it’s a complete waste of time and effort. However, that being said, depending on the emergency I don’t think I would tell the pilot to return back to the old beacon code if they did it on their own because, again, waste of time and effort. Especially in an engine fire situation, I think the cockpit environment would be nonstop checklists, communication with company and communication with the cabin (assuming an airliner) thus with every emergency we try to keep our talking to a minimum unless the situation warrants otherwise.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

kevin meyers wrote:From a pilot’s perspective, I’m not sure what the FARs say regarding the 7700 code, but I’m pretty sure it is meant for those not talking to ATC because if you’re already in contact with us, it’s a complete waste of time and effort. However, that being said, depending on the emergency I don’t think I would tell the pilot to return back to the old beacon code if they did it on their own because, again, waste of time and effort. Especially in an engine fire situation, I think the cockpit environment would be nonstop checklists, communication with company and communication with the cabin (assuming an airliner) thus with every emergency we try to keep our talking to a minimum unless the situation warrants otherwise.
Very Cool. Thanks Kevin. So the next time I want to try my hand at an emergency, I won't bother switching the code. Like you said, to much to do as it is. I'll only do that, if i was previous VFR and reaching out to ATC for the first time. I prefer relaxing planned flights, so I won't be doing these types of emergency call outs much lol.

Have a good weekend. : )

Dave.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

I wanted to add one more thing here- One reason you could squawk 7700 while under an IFR plan talking to ATC is if you have an emergency but the radio frequency is too congested to get a word in. The second you dial up 7700, you’ll be that controller’s #1 priority and they’ll reach out to you immediately to see what is wrong.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

kevin meyers wrote:I wanted to add one more thing here- One reason you could squawk 7700 while under an IFR plan talking to ATC is if you have an emergency but the radio frequency is too congested to get a word in. The second you dial up 7700, you’ll be that controller’s #1 priority and they’ll reach out to you immediately to see what is wrong.
Oh that's cool. I would imagine that squawking 7700 would make the plane blink kind of like the flash you get when someone emits a IDENT.... but maybe continuous. Good idea. So i have down to use to break into comms. Like flying zla on sat evening lol. I can see how that could be useful during an emergency.
Thanks,
Dave.
Foxbat_25

Post by Foxbat_25 »

So that's how it works... Thanks! I'm new to the community and to modern realistic flight simulators in general (I've got 1500+ hours on Il-2 Sturmovik but none on modern airline plane simulators, so Squawk codes etc are Greek to me) and the vocabulary is my main issue.
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Good ol' IL2. I'm a DCS FA18 Hornet guy myself. Lol. Happy this topic helped. Welcome to PE.
Dave
Foxbat_25

Post by Foxbat_25 »

Thanks, the game's fascinating and the community looks nice, so I guess I'll hang around for a while!
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

I found some related material on Y-Tube. The short VLog explains that Declaring an Emergency is not something you should refrain from doing. This is more for you real world pilot guys.
But I found this very interesting. The FedEx Captain explains that she never declared an emergency. But the Controller in the NYC area did a great job and she could not say enough good things about them.. Once you declare an emergency you have a lot more tools available to you. This story describes two cases. The first 10 minutes describes what happened when a MD11 lost electrical Power upon Rotation. She said, even the batteries quit working. Then shortly after, one radio came back on line and then they were able to reach NYC ATC. Pretty interesting stuff.

Dave.

https://youtu.be/ndnJFcxtuYU