IFR routing

oliverb34

IFR routing

Post by oliverb34 »

I have experienced this a lot of times now and I want to know if I am doing something wrong.

I flew from KIFP to KSNA today and did some research on the routing to ensure there is no TEC or FAA preferred route.

Using the IFR Low enroute map, I filed this route: EED V208 TRM V64 SLI.

My IFR clearance was EED V12 HEC V8 SLI.

Is there something I miss in flying IFR in the US (maybe a routing site I do not know about)?

Regards,

Oliver
Scott Medeiros

Re: IFR routing

Post by Scott Medeiros »

Oliver,
You are correct that there is no TEC or preferred routing, so there is no way for you to know ahead of time that your arrival could conflict with jet arrivals on the DSNEE/KAYOH into SNA. If you pull up the Los Angeles Fly chart you'll see the jet icon over Pleasent's Peak (~10nm NE of KSNA). While there is an prop arrival gate from the east, for traffic flow/terrain it may be better for ATC to issue you routing that'll bring you in from the north (V8->vectors to the ILS).

Always be ready for different routing as weather, MOAs going active, or traffic flow could result in ATC issuing something different.
jx_

Re: IFR routing

Post by jx_ »

...And then that routing was probably changed by SoCal to V8 PDZ PDZ270 V363 POXKU V8 SLI

This has nothing to do with you as a pilot and there is no way for you to know. In congested areas, ATC sectors are smaller and much more specialized requiring traffic flows to be segregated. Each controller will serve a specific role and the routing will be be matched to that role. ATC tries to route aircraft to the correct ATC sector, not to the most convenient airway.

ZLA flows SoCal bound traffic from IFP via PSP (V388/V16) PDZ or HEC (V283 SLI/V442 PDZ). Under normal circumstances only arrivals will pass from ZLA to Socal on these airways. V64 is a departure corridor from all LAX area, SNA area, ONT area, and PSP area departures to the east. There is no westbound traffic on V64 (from SLI to TRM) and no eastbound traffic on V388 or V16 (from PDZ to PSP).

Assuming a PQ class aircraft your routing options in that case would have been

1) EED V208 TNP V370 PSP V388 PDZ PDZ270 V363 POXKU V8 SLI
or
2) EED V12 HEC V442 PDZ PDZ270 V363 POXKU V8 SLI

JM type aircraft would get

1) EED V208 TNP V370 PSP KAYOH STAR (or RNAV equivalent)
or
2) EED V12 HEC KAYOH STAR (or RNAV equivalent)

note that the KAYOH STAR is PSP V16 BANDS HDF V283 SLI or HEC V283 SLI

The route you received, EED V12 HEC V8 SLI, includes a shortcut, which ATC is always encouraged to do when they can.