is VFR flying feasible in VR?

luke_b

is VFR flying feasible in VR?

Post by luke_b »

Hey all,

Took a bit of a break from the network because I've been simming in VR pretty extensively which makes it a pain to copy clearances etc. I realised, for VFR (which imo is VR's strength) - there's no need to copy clearances. So VR + VFR on PE could be about as realistic as it gets. Is anybody doing this? Do you run into problems not being able to write things down?

Keith Smith

Re: is VFR flying feasible in VR?

Post by Keith Smith »

Beyond the initial IFR clearance, there isn't much to write down with IFR flying. A simple solution would be to copy clnc with goggles off place the clearance into electronic form and then bring into the VR environment (avitab, for example).

There are more sophisticated options, too, that would allow you to do the entire thing in VR, but the solution above does the job, assuming you're already able to view approach plates in the sim through avitab or other similar solutions.
luke_b

Post by luke_b »

Cheers Keith that makes sense. I'll give it a go.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

One thing I did recently in my VR setup that I think really helps is to set a key binding to enable and disable VR in the sim. A quick key press and VR is off and I can take the goggles off and manage whatever I need. Pound it again and i'm back in the seat.
ebouchard566

Post by ebouchard566 »

In addition to the "quick release" VR deactivation button, I strongly recommend to use the Plugin AviTab.

I use 4 quick access buttons on my yoge/joystick to quickly display Map, airplane checklist, flight plant/charts and Notes.

Using the "notes" section of AvitTab you can pretty much take note of every instruction given to you.