What to do when frequency congested?

flyvento

What to do when frequency congested?

Post by flyvento »

Hello! Today I was flying in the pattern, and was supposed to call midfield downwind on each pass. What are you supposed to do if the frequency is congested to the point of being unable to report midfield? should you continue on an extended downwind? or do you fly a normal pattern and report base? Thanks in advance!!
bbuckley

Re: What to do when frequency congested?

Post by bbuckley »

Fly your pattern and make the call as soon as you can reporting your current position. The controller knows you’re there and more than likely they’ll come on and clear you to land or option even before you make the call. In any event they understand and are painfully aware of the radio congestion. If for some odd reason you can’t make the call before short final and they haven’t cleared you, just go around and report when you can.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
ebouchard566

Post by ebouchard566 »

In a similar order of ideas, I tried to do my CAT-3 ratings today. No matter what frequency I could dialed in whether it is KSBP Ground or Tower I was hearing the same controller from all "over the place". Anyway, between radio chatter I tried to check-in three times, Ground and Tower, no answer. Is this normal ?
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

It’s normal what you heard, on Pilotedge anyway. It’s not normal you didn’t get a reply. Check the installation instructions to be sure your audio device is setup correctly.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

ebouchard566 wrote:In a similar order of ideas, I tried to do my CAT-3 ratings today. No matter what frequency I could dialed in whether it is KSBP Ground or Tower I was hearing the same controller from all "over the place". Anyway, between radio chatter I tried to check-in three times, Ground and Tower, no answer. Is this normal ?
Here's some info about what you're hearing on the radio: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8153