Unable to understand the Russian controller....

raysot

Unable to understand the Russian controller....

Post by raysot »

I enjoy flying on PE but when the Russian controller comes on, I cannot for the life of me, understand her. I have a Bose A10 headset connected to a Sigtronics 4-place intercomm so I know it's not my gear.....

I know that PE is a place to learn but if we can't even understand the controllers....

Maybe a couple of suggestions:

1. Is there a way to back off the the amount of static on the radios? I can actually understand the controllers over at VATSIM more than I can on PE ever since the new Codec was introduced....

2. Can we send the Russian controller a better microphone or something? Something to replace that dead cat she's been using?

(Actually that client-configurable static level might be a really good idea...)

Thanks!
Kevin_atc

Re: Unable to understand the Russian controller....

Post by Kevin_atc »

XPlane? Make sure your ATC Audio slider is at 50%. That should fix the problem.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The controller is male.

I'll send him a reminder about some of these issues.

As for "not understanding the controllers," you're talking about one controller out of quite a long list of staff.

To determine how much of this is the VHF radio effect, try reviewing the raw recording (http://pilotedge.net/audio) and see if it's easier to understand or not. Most people are able to understand the instructions without issue, so, while it might be less clear than other controllers, it's clearly not inaudible.

That said, we'll see what we can do about the volume level because he is consistently quieter than others.
frantzy

Post by frantzy »

Raysot not to undermine your issue but purely as a contrasting data point to help with troubleshooting, I have had no issue hearing or understanding that controller (or any other). My headset is a $100 USB model, nice but not nearly as nice as yours. Certainly there is an accent but the phraseology is spot on so it hasn’t been an issue. Good luck!