Connecting IFR midair

lerche

Connecting IFR midair

Post by lerche »

Hello

Ocasionally it happens that I get distracted from my flight on PE for various reasons and have to disconnect for an hour or two to attend other things. Although not very realistic from a "flying point of view", we all have other things in our lives that require our attention from time to time. Say I disconnect, pause the sim, and want to resume the flight an hour later. Flying IFR in the flight levels, what would be the best way to reconnect? Technically when I reconnect above FL180, I need an IFR clearance to be in that airspace. But as far as I know, there is no way to obtain that prior to reconnecting. So I am forced to do a small airspace violation before I can get my clearance. In your opinion, what would be the best way around this? Could PE controllers live with this small crime or would I have to descend below FL180, reconnect and ask to climb to altitude again? The latter just seems very awkward to me.

Thank you

/Christian Lerche
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Connecting IFR midair

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Connecting in middair is fine, but do yourself, the controller, and everyone else a favour, take a look at the PE map and make sure there is nobody else in the general vicinity/ at the same altitude of where you are going to connect, and connect away, then give ATC a call ASAP.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS