ATC frequencies for Flight Following

silberztein

ATC frequencies for Flight Following

Post by silberztein »

Hello,

Yesterday I was flying VFR, departing from Oceano (L52).

I wanted to request flight following as soon as I left Oceano. However, neither SkyVector's World VFR map nor the sectional chart, nor Oceano's Airport page mention any frequency to contact ATC for approach/departure.

- Where can I find the right Controlling Agency when it is not indicated on the sectional nor in the Airport's page?

I looked at the closest airport: San Luis Obispo, and in its page I found the following line:

APCH/DEP SVC PRVDD BY LOS ANGELES ARTCC ON FREQS 119.05/269.5 (SAN LUIS OBISPO RCAG) WHEN SANTA BARBARA APCH CTL CLSD.

However, there are two frequencies indicated on the sectional for Santa Barbara: 120.55, 125.4.

- How does one know which frequency to use?

I contacted LA Center on 119.05, and (of course!) the controller told me I was out of his jurisdiction and gave me the frequency for Santa Barbara departure.

- I feel there has to be a better way to find the right frequency for Approach/Departure ?
Kevin_atc

Re: ATC frequencies for Flight Following

Post by Kevin_atc »

[Post moved to pilot forum]
silberztein wrote: However, there are two frequencies indicated on the sectional for Santa Barbara: 120.55, 125.4.

- How does one know which frequency to use?
Either frequency for SBA Approach is fine, and if you don't get it on the first try, they'll tell you to go to the other one. Sometimes you need to get a bit creative. Checking SBP's frequencies was a great idea, so you got very close to getting it right. However, why was your instinct to think that SBA APCH was closed?

There's no sure way to always nail the right frequency when it comes to approach or center as even the published frequencies may be combined up with another position and the controller may want you on another one of their frequencies. But looking at the resources you found as well as the "postage stamps" on the sectionals and enroute charts will help you out.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord