TEC Route question

FDXDave

TEC Route question

Post by FDXDave »

Hello all. So I ran across something today which confused me. Flying from KSAN to KEMT. I filed the SANP24 (MZB293R POM164R POM) @ CLR I was instructed to fly Heading 290, then Radar vectors to intercept the MZB R-293 outbound, then as filed. Which is obviously follow the R293 until I reach the POM R-164, to follow that inbound to POM. So once I climbed, I was approved to go direct to OCN ( Oceanside VOR ), then resume own navigation. So I dialed in OCN on Sky-vector to make sure OCN was on one of the radials and it wasn't. So I asked the controller why OCN? He said, most people fly that departure which ends up going to OCN First. He then changed his mind and told me to fly a heading to intercept the POM R-164, which is what I was set up for in the 1st place. So why OCN? I wasn't assigned a SID or anything other that the inil heading... I didn't ask him for clarification because it was busy in the ZLA. And by the way, today due to IMC conditions, I flew my first VOR Appr into KEMT. The VOR-A. Circling appr to RW 19. A nail biter when you can't see anything until minimums lol. I had LAX as an alternative. But I made it down : )
I fly every day for over two years now, and I still learn new things... Best hobby ever. Thanks guys and Gals for such a great platform to spend my days on. Hope everyone is safe.
Dave.
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: TEC Route question

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

If at any point that a controller sends you direct to anything that isn't either on your flight plan or a fix on your requested approach, definitely question it. 90% of the TEC routes out of the San Diego area go out over the OCN VOR, so it was probably force of habit that you were sent there, but definitely something you should have questioned. Where would you go after OCN since it wasn't on your filed/cleared route?
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There were 45 pilots online in the middle of the afternoon, so I have no doubt it was slammed today. The controller might have assumed you were a piston (most aircraft going into EMT are pistons) on the OCN V23 DANAH V363 POM routing and didn't notice you were on the type JM routing (jet/turboprop). Direct OCN would not work given your originally-cleared route without further routing after OCN. I would've proceeded towards OCN and then whenever possible, sought clarification.

EDIT: I'm late :)
FDXDave

Post by FDXDave »

Well this is really a testament to the skill of these controllers. It didn't occur to me that it was a simple mistake. I mean we all make mistakes. But I thought i had messed up the Tec route somehow. Most of my IFR departures out of KSAN are on rnav SID's like BRDR7, and PEBLE6 etc. So to fly radials is not my norm. But like you guys said, when in doubt ask. Which i did, and all went smooth from there. You guys are doing a great job . And I've seen the uptick of connections due to world events. It's like an event everyday. I've noticed the extra staffing too, which we all appreciate. There is no way i could do your job. Lol. See you in the skies. Thanks

Dave.
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Thanks Dave, we do our best, but we are also human ;) Like the old adage goes, when the pilot messes up, the pilot dies, when ATC messes up, the pilot dies.
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Shawn, parts of Carlsbad may be a dumpster fire to be sure, but are we really saying that being sent there is effectively a death sentence? Savage... :)