Canadian aircraft

tasev1

Canadian aircraft

Post by tasev1 »

Just a question on what controllers want to see with Canadian registered aircraft. I can't enter the "-" when connecting on the client but I can on the flight plan. So initially I set it as the last four letters and I had a controller tell me to include the 'C' (ex: C-GABE) due to nationality requirements. But now, ALL the controllers fully say CGABE in letters, without phonetics every time. Kind of strange....the short form phonetics of N-numbers are the same as they are in Canada. C-GABE is only ever called GABE on initial contact, then ABE after that for short (N575CE becomes 5CE).

Before you ask....I use Canadian registration because I fly in Canada and the "verbalism" of it is easier for me! LOL.
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: Canadian aircraft

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Here is the rule. Disclaimer..... I am Canadian. The USA rules state 2 things. 1) International callsigns cannot be shortened. 2) Phonetics do not have to be used for international callsigns.

So feel free to not use phonetics, but you can't shorten your callsign legally. I personally use phonetics for international callsigns, but we are not required to.

When connecting to the network, use all 5 letters including the C with no -
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The verbalism of the registration may be easier for you when flying in Canada, however, what you hear from our controllers will not be the same as what you hear from Canadian controllers because, as Shawn pointed out, the rules are different between the US and Canada.

What you're hearing is what you'd hear if you were to fly with a Canadian callsign in US airspace, not a Canadian callsign in Canadian airspace. As such, the 'advantage' of using the callsign is lost, and I would recommend the use of an N-number instead because it CAN be shortened and WILL be addressed using the phonetic alphabet by the controllers 100% of the time.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Also, the callsign on your flight plan must match what you are using when connecting to the network. This fact is specifically stated at the top of the screen after you file the flight plan. If you file with a different callsign, the flight plan won't be associated with your connection to the network (in other words, the controller will not see the flight plan).
tasev1

Post by tasev1 »

Interesting information, thanks guys! That sheds a light on the mystery that had me a bit confused. I find it interesting that foreign aircraft aren't called by phonetics as they would their own.

Alas, to help make the lives of your controllers easier I will refrain from Canadian registrations....unless I'm doing a border crossing! :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

tasev1 wrote:Interesting information, thanks guys! That sheds a light on the mystery that had me a bit confused. I find it interesting that foreign aircraft aren't called by phonetics as they would their own.

Alas, to help make the lives of your controllers easier I will refrain from Canadian registrations....unless I'm doing a border crossing! :)
Agreed, it is an interesting difference. I'm not sure of the logic behind it, but it's definitely stated as such in the regs.
tasev1

Post by tasev1 »

So through various media, the consensus is very mixed in real world examples. MOST Canadian pilots who commented flying RW into the US have their phonetics used with the same type of abbreviations. My friend Kevin had the same experience described here, and many have had their C- pronounced 'Canadian' with all 4 phonetics. So it appears to be "non-standard" regardless, haha!.