Preferred routes Foreflight vs piloted.clarification please

pkofman

Preferred routes Foreflight vs piloted.clarification please

Post by pkofman »

Recently when on PilotEdge and planning an ifr flight plan I select my route from Foreflight. I use the route function when selecting the city pair to find the most appropriate route based upon aircraft type. route ,flight planned altitude, atis etc.
That is also what I do in real life when planning an ifr flight, except that I will always check the TC preferred published routes

I will also review the route, and,sid, and odp or departure procedures for the route and runway in use.

I typically pick something that will have been used multiple times for my type, usually it is obvious as route as flow mulitple times and stated in the route function of Foreflight

Thereafter, I use the selected route and file it on pilotedge

In the past week when doing all of the above I will receive a completely different full route clearance on the PE system
I am doing something wrong on PE becuase my selection should work out.
I rarely get a full route clearance in real life

So my question is .... what does PE use for preferred routes, and /or what am I doing wrong.

Pete
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Night and Water./FLOATS AMPHIB..
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
Keith Smith

Re: Preferred routes Foreflight vs piloted.clarification ple

Post by Keith Smith »

Can you provide an example of the city pair, the route you were filed, and the route you were issued? That will help us dig into what took place.
pkofman

Post by pkofman »

Hey Keith, I will do that , ive been flying online a lot this week after some surgery, so ill send you a few examples of routes filed from Foreflight and then the full route clearance amendment
I would have thought that the route gizmo in Foreflight would have worked out ( seems to work in real life ) but not on Piloted . To be more precise , I select piston , typically fly a mooney , pick something that says piston for the altitude, and then as you know they put (x times flown ). The x time flown gives a good hint as to what might be approved , should be a reasonable selection
Pete
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
pkofman

Post by pkofman »

Keith i dont keep all this logs and files when flying on line but i did piece together what i think were my last two flights.
these flights wont show on PEaware because i never get to finish the flights as my computer love to crash lately

flight 1 Mooney ovation

example 1
kmfr to ksjc

I filed chbli brixx2 for piston alt 7500 issued x114 times
I received Jack1 oed v23 lin bored klide dir , that was a full route clearance

Flight 2; Mooney ovation

Kboi Kgeg
ovation

I filed; olaah preis
I received ; Boi3 boi v253 geg , this ahs been issued x9 altitude 14k , full route clearance

This is no big deal but was simply curious as to why my routing was incorrect. Maybe it was just LESS correct
Perhaps it all had to do with the runway in use at the time
But in both cases a departure was issued with the clearance so perhaps that changed the routing

Thank you
Pete
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

Hello Pete,

For your first route that is the Jet routing into SJC. Piston aircraft don't get assigned the BRIXX arrival as it would interfere with the jet arrivals.

The second route isn't a valid route as flight planning requirements require at least 1 fix per transited ARTCC. There is no fix in ZSE in your route.

The issued departures are also mandatory, it's common for flight planning systems to not show vector DPs which are issued by the airport to all aircraft.

A route being listed in foreflight is not an indication that it is a valid route. I don't know how it determines routes but it's not an approved FAA flight plan repository.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
pkofman

Post by pkofman »

IMG_2700.PNG
IMG_2700.PNG (384.17 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
IMG_2700.PNG
IMG_2700.PNG (384.17 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
Thanks very interesting. That one route to sjc said piston but ff can be wrong and in the real world we do get full route at times. . I am Canadian and we do get pref routes from navcan and tc. , what is the best source for pref routes in the us. I typically don’t include a Sid or transition but rather wait for it to be assigned.
Interesting and helpful.
Pete

here are the images of the pref routes proved by Foreflight for these route, you can see from the selections why I chose those routings
Attachments
IMG_2701.PNG
IMG_2701.PNG (381.88 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
Peter Kofman
Real World Pilot
1000hrs
VFR VFROTT IFR
Canadian Pilot
Mooney BRAVO TLS M20M