When can I turn?

virtualDon

When can I turn?

Post by virtualDon »

Dear Abby,

As I understand it, when given a pattern departure (left downwind, right crosswind, etc...) I start my turn onto the crosswind leg after climbing to within 300 feet of pattern altitude. I've heard others say to start the turn at 500 AGL. This I've also heard when applied to an ODP (climbing left turn, etc...). And, in either case, not until you've reached the end of the runway. I have to admit sort of fudging this and turning crosswind or on an ODP heading when 500 to 700 AGL. The other day I was flying the ANAHM1.HEC radar vector departure. Once from KFUL ground I was told "via ANAHM1 departure to HEC then as filed" and the next time I flew it I was given "on departure fly heading 120 vectors to SLI".

Both are essentially the same - one just spelled out the departure procedure. It just got me thinking - when do I turn? I'm supposed to fly a 120 heading after departure but how high must I be before turning?

-Fudging it in Fullerton
Shawn Goldsworthy

Re: When can I turn?

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Unless otherwise specified, the initial turn for an IFR departure should be made at 400' AGL.

AIM 5-2-8
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS