Question re: KSBA FLOUT5 SID

stormshorts

Question re: KSBA FLOUT5 SID

Post by stormshorts »

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered; i wasn't able to find after some searching. This (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7854&p=51194&hilit= ... ain#p51194
) came close but my specific question is slightly different.

On the ground at KSBA requesting the FLOUT5.RZS from clearance delivery, would one normally expect to receive an altitude clearance that stated only "Maintain 3k"? The reason I ask is that FLOUT5.RZS contains a crossing restriction of 6k. Reading the AIM (5-2-9, h. 5-6), I see the reference to the use of "Maintain" in connection with SIDs that do not contain crossing restrictions, and/or have a Radar Vector segments.

I understand "climb via" clearances and "climb via except maintain" clearances. But my question is slightly different. Is it common to receive a pre-takeoff clearances for a SID that has a crossing restriction and no Radar Vector segment, where the altitude portion of the clearance states only "Maintain _____ thousand"?

Many thanks.
Keith Smith

Re: Question re: KSBA FLOUT5 SID

Post by Keith Smith »

I understand "climb via" clearances and "climb via except maintain" clearances. But my question is slightly different. Is it common to receive a pre-takeoff clearances for a SID that has a crossing restriction and no Radar Vector segment, where the altitude portion of the clearance states only "Maintain _____ thousand"?
No, if the SID contains a crossing restriction and doesn't have a vectored segment, or, there are restrictions prior to the vectored segment, then the controller needs to issue 'climb via SID' or 'climb via SID except maintain' as appropriate. This use of 'climb via SID' alerts pilots to the fact that crossing restrictions exist on the SID prior to a vectored segment (or if it's a pure pilot nav procedure).
stormshorts

Re: Question re: KSBA FLOUT5 SID

Post by stormshorts »

Brilliant. Thanks very much, Keith. Much appreciated.