Newbie Help / GTN

JPL19

Newbie Help / GTN

Post by JPL19 »

Back on PE after some time, previous experience was limited.

My first departure (KABQ VFR with Flight Following Requested) was a failure after getting scolded by the controller for not turning on my transponder, then again for not using Mode C. Simulation-wise I was squawking the proper code w/ altitude reporting using the F1 GTN in P3Dv5.1 (A2A Bonanza). I let the controller know it was a sim problem and was going VFR as I was outside of Albuquerque Class C at that point. Changed to 1200 and set myself on plan/ cruise. I then looked at the live map and PE Aware and saw myself progressing on the map. I noticed the map reports COM1/ and it showed COM2 when I set it to monitor 121.5. Map apparently does not show any Squawk codes (understandable).

Does anybody have suggestions on how to verify if my Transponder is being received? I don't want to get all set up again and find out there is an issue once airborne.

Also, searching the forums does seem there have been issues with the GTN - does anybody have a current solution and/or know if the RXP units in P3D are any better?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Joe L.
Kevin_atc

Re: Newbie Help / GTN

Post by Kevin_atc »

Did you hit the Mode C button in the web UI for the Pilot client (as per the setup video)?
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
JPL19

Post by JPL19 »

Honestly that could have been the issue, the controller was telling me to put turn my transponder on then saying turn it on Mode C so I was focused in sim (and it was already on and indicating ALT reporting). I have an FSUIPC button assign for Mode-C (and separately ident) so I had also tried cycling it (I later verified that seems to turn the client Mode-C on/off). By the time I looked at the client I had already signed off to avoid further frustration to the controller, it was Mode-C was on but I had cycled my FSUIPC button. I monitored frequencies for most of my flight but was hesitant to try Flight Following again and create another issue.

I did see numerous posts about the GTN, so I am still not sure transponder will work in my AC with the GTN?

Joe Lorenc
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Load up at an airport that has ground radar and ask the ground controller for a transponder check. Use the Web UI’s Mode C button if it’s not working the way you try it.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord