PilotEdge Workshop: All About VFR [Dec 18 7pm PST]

announcements, discussions and recordings of PilotEdge real-time workshops
Keith Smith

Re: PilotEdge Workshop: All About VFR [Dec 18 7pm PST]

Post by Keith Smith »

Bruce, the written notes were already posted a few replies earlier... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2346&start=10#p14568

I will try to upload the recording today. I'm uploading the I-5 video at the moment to YT, will take up my bandwidth for the next 4 hours.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Keith, since seminars are such a success and I find these notes very useful, almost like a reference in nutshell, do you think we could have a sticky thread with notes after each seminar?
We could build quite a nice reference database. Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I'll probably make a workshops subforum under the Pilot Training Program

I'll also post the presentation for each rating, where applicable. This first presentation was a bit light on detail. It's also worth mentioning that the various types of airspace have been described very well in various FAA publications. I'll see if I can find some good ones and will post them.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Keith,
I missed the original broadcast of the VFR workshop, but I watched it in it's entirety last night.
I must say it was one of the most informative events I have ever seen. I have scoured many a website trying to find all the information that you gave, to no avail. All the information you gave about Restricted, warning, alert areas, MOA's was all new to me...great stuff!!
Keep up the good work and include the videos of the workshops for those of us who are a bit forgetful!!

Vince
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That's very kind of you, thanks for the feedback and the support, I'm glad it was so helpful for you.

One reference that will certainly be included in the final presentation once it's published online will be a link to the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Here's a link to the Airspace chapter, which dives right into to Class A, B, C, D, E, G and Special Use airspace: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... r%2014.pdf

It actually goes through the airspace types one at a time, and then lists the operating requirements in a separate section. So, it's worth reading end to end! The entire book is avaiable here: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

I cannot stress how underutilized the FAA manuals are as a pilot training resource.
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Just downloaded the handbook on the iphone and will put it on my ipad too.

Vince
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
bruce

Post by bruce »

Keith Smith wrote:That's very kind of you, thanks for the feedback and the support, I'm glad it was so helpful for you.

One reference that will certainly be included in the final presentation once it's published online will be a link to the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Here's a link to the Airspace chapter, which dives right into to Class A, B, C, D, E, G and Special Use airspace: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... r%2014.pdf

It actually goes through the airspace types one at a time, and then lists the operating requirements in a separate section. So, it's worth reading end to end! The entire book is avaiable here: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/avia ... _handbook/

I cannot stress how underutilized the FAA manuals are as a pilot training resource.
Very useful, Ch14 particularly well illustrated