PilotEdge Workshop: All About VFR [Dec 18 7pm PST]

announcements, discussions and recordings of PilotEdge real-time workshops
Keith Smith

PilotEdge Workshop: All About VFR [Dec 18 7pm PST]

Post by Keith Smith »

See the announcement on the home page for more info (also available here: http://www.pilotedge.net/news/pilotedge ... -workshops)

This is a great opportunity to have your questions answer and polish your skills when it comes to all things VFR.

These workshops have been a long time coming and I'm truly excited to see how things progress with these. The TRACON Tour that we held on the DigitalThemePark TS3 server attracted a large crowd and drew a lot of interest. I'm hoping the trend will continue and we can help a lot of people get excited about flying and have a great real-time forum for discussing all types of flying.

The workshops will take place every two weeks. I will see what I can do about doing a screen recording of this one, but I can't promise anything. If nothing else, we can certainly get the audio recorded.

Edit: here's the video/audio recording of the workshop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1YEKGW0ve8
Piotr

Re: PilotEdge Workshop: All About VFR [Dec 18 7pm PST]

Post by Piotr »

Will the workshops be recorded? Unfortunately I won't be able to join them, it's 0400 local time.
Piotr Ratajczak
PE: RealAir Duke Turbine (N609PR), PMDG B737-800 (N738PR, LOTxxxx)
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Hi Piotr, Keith just mentioned that at the end of the announcement. They will try the video but at least they will record audio. Cheers, AJ
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

I'm really looking forward to these! I'm already writing down questions that I have. :)

See you there!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
currentadventure

Post by currentadventure »

i got set up on the sever last night. Looking forward to joining in.
Brent Stanley
Wilmington, NC (KILM)
Inshore Charter Guide
Private Pilot, ASEL
http://www.currentadventurecharters.com
My PE callsign-N134WD
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

I loved the presentation but had to log off earlier, a bit too late for me as a East Coast working guy.
Looking forward to recordings. Great people at Digital Theme Park TS3 server, felt like I have been there for a long time. Cheers, AJ
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Keith,
Thank you so much for taking the time (late in to your night) to provide these workshops! I think it's pretty awesome that you take time out of your busy schedule to go over these concepts, and stick around and answer all our questions.

I learned so much in this first session, and can't wait for the next one!

It was also really nice to talk with others that use PE as well. I'd love to talk "shop" with others on the network more, so I'm going to try and hang out on DigitalThemePark TS more, and hopefully other PE pilots will as well. :)

If anyone's interested, I wrote down pretty detailed notes of what was covered, I could post them here in the forum if people are interested. (Although I do know that the entire session was recorded by someone as well.)

Thanks again, and I can't wait for the next one!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Brett, yes , I am interested, please post the notes. Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

To save Brett some typing (I think he said his notes were handwritten), I can confirm that Mark Hargrove did record the entire session (video/audio). Just moments ago, he uploaded the video to my server. I plan on having a look over it, and if it's good to go, will publish on YouTube.

Brett, it was a pleasure meeting you, and thank you for your kind words.

I hope we eventually schedule time for some general chatter and Q&A. I'd love to hear some flying stories from other pilots, too.

This session was 3hrs long....don't worry, future workshops will be shorter, by design, even if we have to break it up into more workshops as a result. Thank you to those that did join us, though.

I think the workshop concept is going to be a fundamental part of what we offer with PE. There is only so much you can learn in real time during the flight. I think it's great to have a place to come together as a group and talk through whatever people want to chat about. One pattern that repeated itself over and over last night was that someone would ask a question and then a couple of people would chime in on the channel with, "I was going ask that..." which is a great sign that these Q&A sessions are valuable for a wide audience.

Another thing that went well was changing things up slightly on the fly. I was just introducing Bravo airspace and was about to launch into an explanation of the symbols on the chart when I figured I should ask how many people weren't already completely familiar with it. Silence. Asked again...silence. There was the answer. I shaved a few minutes off and skipped that part. I won't necessarily do that all the time, but it can be helpful in gauging the needs of the group.

Anyway, thanks again and see you at the next one, two weeks from now!

I'll make a post when the YT video is up.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Keith,
I always retype my notes as I'm a software engineer and can't handle hand written notes. (It's just so much easier to refer back to all my notes and be able to search against them in document format.) It also helps me retain the information if I re-type notes right after I take a class. (It's something I've done for ages.)

Yes, I admit it, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things like that. rofl

So the only reason I offered is because I had already typed them up in to a text file for myself, so it's basically just a matter of cutting and pasting for me.

I'll leave it up to you if you'd like them posted, or just let the video stand.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.