Upcoming workshops?

announcements, discussions and recordings of PilotEdge real-time workshops
kleistad

Re: Upcoming workshops?

Post by kleistad »

As a new user I´ve probably spent more time on the workshops than in the actual network. And I can´t stress enough how valuable they´ve been! My 5 first flights I was terrified of speaking :lol: But watching the workshops and understanding a lot of the rules and regulations makes communicating with the ATC much easier.

I really hope Keith be doing some more workshops. He´s a great tutor!

Now I´m of practicing for my I-6
Kristoffer L.
N187KT
CozyB

Post by CozyB »

He´s a great tutor!
I second that. I've been working on my real world Inst Rating. I've learned a lot of nuances from Keith's workshops that my instructor or ground school didn't teach.
stealthbob

Post by stealthbob »

Awesome Keith...too bad that's past my bedtime lol

I will be sure to pick it up sometime online
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Voting for doing this in the 732 shared cockpit with Chris!
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
tngarner

Post by tngarner »

Keith, hate I could not see the live version but watched the workshop on Twitch today. Truly got a great deal out of it so thanks for doing it.
Marietta, GA (KRYY)
PPL-ASEL
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Keith:

I watch the DME arc workshop last night and felt like I got a lot out of it. Turns out it saved my "sim pilot's" life:

I was flying the Chinook on FSEconomy early this morning, trying to bank some cash. I was flying to the next to the last stop which was KSBP and was direct to the airport, VFR at 8500 feet. I saw the clouds up ahead and figured I could get below while still in the clear but X-Plane had something else in mind.

San Luis was reporting OVC 2600 so I descended into the broken layer that X-Plane was rendering but it became 100% whiteout at 3500 or so. I had the ILS RWY 11 approach plate up already and the Paso Robles VOR on NAV1 and I had DME. I sort of panicked for a bit but the Chinook was on heading hold autopilot so I could take stock of what I had to do.

I looked at the procedure and figured out how to get to the193 radial - twist and turn! I flew out to get to the 10 mile DME point, then fle an arc to get to the IF and was able to finish the procedure from there. I realize with the helicopter it would have been easily to just go straight up to get out of the IMC but I was glad to have a chance to apply what I learned during the informal training.

Note-- this was mountain terrain and turning around to go back the way I didn't consider safe. I tried to approach my silly sim mistake as a real training problem and not to panic. It seemed like I had all of the tools for success so why not complete the procedure?
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
kullery

Post by kullery »

I finally got around to checking.....the X-plane location of CAZZI is incorrect. The earth_fix.dat file defines it at 32.883556 -114.624731. The NFDC database shows 32.9165333, -114.6309917. The error is 2.07NM.

Sent a note to Robin to let him know.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks, Ken. That was the conclusion I came to during the workshop. It was showing CAZZI at 7 DME instead of 9 DME.

It's actually not a big deal in terms of flying the approach since you just maintain the 7 DME arc, but in terms of debriefing the approach by looking at the map to review the flight path, it's a big distraction until you're aware that it's misplaced.