P3D v2.0 release imminent!

gavink42

Re: P3D v2.0 release imminent!

Post by gavink42 »

Without digging up the issues that have cause multiple thread-lockages on AvSim, let me ask this:

How much do we spend on add-on airplanes? Scenery? FSUIPC? Weather modifiers? PC? Graphics cards? Yokes? Rudder pedalss? Etc?

Is $199 really that much to spend for the core flight sim, knowing that it has the ongoing support of a company like Lockheed Martin?

It's an easy question for me to answer!
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Having trouble picking a license that truly fits your use of the product? Not surprising, the licenses are not home-user friendly. Remember, P3D was supposed to take over for ESP, Microsoft's commercial version of FSX and that's about it.

In a perfect world, FS11 would be out there in everyone's home while businesses and universities used P3D. Unfortunately, FS11 is not happening, and users are clamoring to get onto the only train that's still moving in the MSFS world, which is P3D.

The academic license is a 'we'll look the other way' situation and is probably what you should use at home, practically speaking.
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

theskunk wrote:So - 59.99 means I have to be in school? or a student pilot?

199.99 for a standard home user? That just seems a little steep to me... but maybe I'm looking at it wrong...
$59.99 means you have to be actively learning while using P3D. So, take me, for example. Every time I fly using P3D, I learn something. Therefore, I will be purchasing the Academic License (I did for v1.4).

I'm not going to debate the issue here (that dead horse has been beaten over and over elsewhere), and this is all I will say. LM apparently signed a non-compete agreement with Microsoft when they purchased the Flight Simulator ESP. This non-compete agreement does not expire. It is indefinite. When MS 'Flight' flopped (i.e. it did not become the next great flight simulator that MS had hoped), that opened the door for LM to change its pricing and licensing for its products. Hence, the Academic License. It was a brilliant legal maneuver meant to be confusing and open to interpretation. P3D depends on the flight simulator community to continue to make its product better, but P3D will never be considered "entertainment" because LM wants there to be a clear line between simulation and gaming. They know that we simmers are not a bunch of gamers, but we are all passionate about aviation and are constantly using P3D to enhance our flying experiences, simulated or real world. Many of us are, in fact, real world pilots or we have simply discovered our love of all things flying through Flight Simulation. That is real learning and no one can legally challenge that.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I really hope they officially start allowing/encouraging home use. If I was a P3D user, I would breathe a huge sigh of relief and say, "ok, it's staying and they're going to support it."
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

twharrell wrote: $59.99 means you have to be actively learning while using P3D. So, take me, for example. Every time I fly using P3D, I learn something. Therefore, I will be purchasing the Academic License (I did for v1.4).

I'm not going to debate the issue here (that dead horse has been beaten over and over elsewhere), and this is all I will say. LM apparently signed a non-compete agreement with Microsoft when they purchased the Flight Simulator ESP. This non-compete agreement does not expire. It is indefinite. When MS 'Flight' flopped (i.e. it did not become the next great flight simulator that MS had hoped), that opened the door for LM to change its pricing and licensing for its products. Hence, the Academic License. It was a brilliant legal maneuver meant to be confusing and open to interpretation. P3D depends on the flight simulator community to continue to make its product better, but P3D will never be considered "entertainment" because LM wants there to be a clear line between simulation and gaming. They know that we simmers are not a bunch of gamers, but we are all passionate about aviation and are constantly using P3D to enhance our flying experiences, simulated or real world. Many of us are, in fact, real world pilots or we have simply discovered our love of all things flying through Flight Simulation. That is real learning and no one can legally challenge that.

Todd
This is probably the best summary of what's going on that I've seen in a LONG time. I'm not active on many other forums (don't have time, and this is a completely different 'community' than what some of them have). I'll be purchasing P3D 2.0 if for nothing else to give it a shot. I started with FSX and thought it was awesome. Then I took the time to actually map my x-plane keys to what I wanted. I'm all for giving somebody else a shot and avoiding vendor lock-in.

-Rob
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Keith Smith wrote:I really hope they officially start allowing/encouraging home use. If I was a P3D user, I would breathe a huge sigh of relief and say, "ok, it's staying and they're going to support it."
From the P3D FAQ:

Can Prepar3D be used at home?
Prepar3D can be used in any location. Where you intend to use Prepar3D is not a consideration in the licensing EULAs; it only matters how the software will be used. As specified in the EULAs, Prepar3D can be used for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.

What a deliciously, carefully crafted phrase!

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

Mark Hargrove wrote:
Keith Smith wrote:I really hope they officially start allowing/encouraging home use. If I was a P3D user, I would breathe a huge sigh of relief and say, "ok, it's staying and they're going to support it."
From the P3D FAQ:

Can Prepar3D be used at home?
Prepar3D can be used in any location. Where you intend to use Prepar3D is not a consideration in the licensing EULAs; it only matters how the software will be used. As specified in the EULAs, Prepar3D can be used for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.

What a deliciously, carefully crafted phrase!

-M.

My legal department would never let that fly...
Brazen

Post by Brazen »

theskunk wrote: My legal department would never let that fly...
Especially with The Giant breathing down your neck? :)
cvenable

Post by cvenable »

If you don't mind me bumping this up, can anyone give any opinions on the quality of P3D vs. X-Plane? In other words, is it even worth the $60?