PE Install with only P3D?

T182T

Re: PE Install with only P3D?

Post by T182T »

I copied your data and created the dll.xml file. Placed that where I believe you wanted it. I downloaded the pilotedge installer for FSX. upon install i get an error shown in the image attached. also attached is other details for confirmation I am on the right page. especially with relation to the registry. Not sure if that is correct.

Thanks again. :D
Kyle
Attachments
Location of the newly created dll.xml file
Location of the newly created dll.xml file
pilotedge_installerror3.jpg (254.58 KiB) Viewed 6812 times
Installer Error
Installer Error
pilotedge_installerror.jpg (104.76 KiB) Viewed 6812 times
Registry screen shot
Registry screen shot
pilotedge_installerror2.jpg (258.92 KiB) Viewed 6812 times
T182T

Post by T182T »

I just fixed what I thought may have been the problem, but still get the same error on install. I modified the data value for SetupPath to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\" to address the spelling and location typos. Still no go.

also want to add that i am running the pilotedge installer as administrator.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Updating the registry is good, however, the DLL.XML file needs to be placed where FSX would normally have the file. You can then run the installer, which will copy the planes to the P3D folder (by virtue of the registry setting), and it'll update the DLL.XML file in the FSX location (because that's all it knows how to do). Then, with the installer complete, you can copy DLL.xml that it modified back to the real P3D location.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know.
T182T

Post by T182T »

Well.. It maybe kinda makes sense. :)

I don't have FSX. Do you know the folder structure I need to create for that dll.xml file?

Am I understanding you correctly Keith?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

From my earlier set of instructions in the thread:
1. Create this path in the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
2. Add a new String Value: SetupPath ,= c:\program files (x86)\.... (whatever the full path to P3D is, including the trailing slash)
3. Copy P3D's dll.xml file (or its equivalent) into %APP_DATA%\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml
4. Run the installer and you should be good.

It's going to add entries to that dll.xml file.

5. When installer is done, copy the dll.xml back to the P3D location.
So the answer is in step 3, %APP_DATA%\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml. You should create that folder structure and put the dll.xml file there, then run the installer and it will find it and modify it.

You're getting there. I'm looking forward to the installer support P3d too.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Kyle,

The other approach to this is to purchase EMT (Estonia Migration Tool) from FlightSim Estonia -- it does some magic to make your system look like you have FSX installed, even if you don't. It's not expensive at all, and allows you to pretty much install ANY add-on as if FSX was your target instead of P3D.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
T182T

Post by T182T »

Update. I created that folder structure under app_data, then transferred the dll.xml file into it. The installer worked! Unfortunately, I will have to wait until tomorrow evening to test it out.

Mark, i'll take a peek at that FlightSim Estonia. Sounds like a good addition.

Thanks for all your help.
Kyle
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Here's a link to their website when you're have time to look at it: http://www.flightsim.ee/

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
tptolton

Post by tptolton »

I have installed P3D v2.1 and successfully installed the PE client after changing the registry and doing the DLL.XML swap out. However I am getting the side-by-side error in Windows when I try to launch the FSX version of the PE client.

I saw the fix in the "client error" post for this issue to run FSX SP1, SP2, or Acceleration. I don't have any version of FSX installed and would prefer to run clean without it.

Any guidance?

Tory
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That's very interesting, it sounds like a SimConnect version issue. Now that you have the model sets installed from the 'full' install. You can try a 'client only' install (tell it you'll be running on multiple machines and that this machine will run the PE client only, even though you actually have the sim installed there, too). This will force it to install SimConnect. Let me know how you do after that, I suspect you'll be able to run the client without issue.