PE with P3D2.. To FSX, or not to FSX.. That is the question!

gavink42

PE with P3D2.. To FSX, or not to FSX.. That is the question!

Post by gavink42 »

I was rebuilding my FSX system when P3Dv2 was released. So, I pulled the trigger and purchased/installed it. Generally very happy, but I'm still not back on PE yet.

There were a few threads I came across with fragments of methods of running PE on P3D. It looks like it relies on either having FSX on the hard drive, or faking out PE into thinking FSX is installed, when it's not.

My desire is to remove FSX from my system now, and commit to P3D. But I can't help wondering if leaving FSX installed would be useful for add-ons (PE and others).

Hope you guys can help with my questions:

1) Is there a plan in the works for a PE installer for P3Dv2, that does not rely on FSX being present (either real or faked)?

2) Has anyone with P3Dv2 run into add-on issues that depend on the add-on seeing a FSX files or file structure on the drive?

3) Should I do something like the Estonian migration tool, to get the FSX default aircraft into P3D? I think I remember reading somewhere that someone was not seeing other traffic because of this.

Any recommendations/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Gavin
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
Mark Hargrove

Re: PE with P3D2.. To FSX, or not to FSX.. That is the quest

Post by Mark Hargrove »

I'm afraid I don't have the experience of P3Dv2 only installed on my system (without FSX also installed), but I can see why you're having issues without an FSX path to help things along.

The Estonia Migration Tool does NOT depend upon having FSX installed to work its magic -- I highly recommend it.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Re: PE with P3D2.. To FSX, or not to FSX.. That is the quest

Post by Keith Smith »

1) Is there a plan in the works for a PE installer for P3Dv2, that does not rely on FSX being present (either real or faked)?
Yes.