Installing P3Dv2

JustinWheat

Installing P3Dv2

Post by JustinWheat »

Been lurking the forums and couldn't find a clear cut answer to how to get P3Dv2 working with pilotedge. Do I just download the FSX version for now and direct it to a specific folder? Is it best to just wait for the native installer to be released? Hate to miss time from the network but just looking for the best thing to do for now.
Keith Smith

Re: Installing P3Dv2

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm working hard to see if we can have the new installer, which will support P3D, ready for the Jun 10 system-wide upgrade.

There is something you can try in the meantime, though:
- install PilotEdge using the 'install pilot client only' option (implying that the sim is on another computer)

- install the SB and VIP model sets manually by downloading them, unzipping and moving them to the SimObjects/Aircraft folder in P3D

- remove the PilotEdge\aircraft\pe.smx file (or back it up), since that maps a bunch of FSX stock aircraft that you don't have if you only have P3D. Alternatively, you could EDIT the file and include the aircraft you DO have from P3D. The format is aircraft title (found in the aircraft.cfg file for each plane) followed by the ICAO code. If the title has spaces, replace them with + signs.

- one last change: the 'default' aircraft (ie, the one that gets used if all else fails) is referenced by the title of the stock FSX 172. If you don't have that plane installed, you're going to want to edit the registry to change the default plane to one you DO have. Find this folder in the registry (open 'regedit'): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PilotEdge\PilotClient\1\Settings

Look for MPDefaultAircraft (or something along those lines) and change it to the title (NOT icao code, but title) of the airplane you'd like to use as the fallback aircraft.

There's one more step you can take to get the mini transponder to popup by referring to one of our DLL's from your dll.xml file for P3D, but it's probably worth going without that until the installer is done which will take care of adding that DLL reference for you.
Frank Pate

Post by Frank Pate »

Keith, your "downloading them" link is broken.
JWPE

Post by JWPE »

Installed the new client (June 17th, 2014) today. Prior to installing I uninstalled the previous version. When trying to run P3D received a lot of errors about duplicate aircraft names. Remembering I manually unzipped some airplanes into a directory I found a folder with the previous date stamp (/VIP3) and deleted it. P3D and the PE Client ran fine after that.