Some user aircraft not seen

gavink42

Some user aircraft not seen

Post by gavink42 »

Landing at KSBA today, I heard radio traffic that there was a B60 holding short at my runway. Problem was that I didn't see him on the ground. After parking, I turned to watch him take off. Heard his radio calls and observed him moving on the PE Map, but I still couldn't see him.

So, there were a bunch of planes at KSNA... I decided to do some "spot or not" while parked on the ground. Aside from the B60 at KSBA, I also couldn't see a C206. The PE map showed him taxiing directly in front of where I was parked. He took off (radio calls and PE map), but I never did see him.

Some planes that I did see were: PC12, BE58, B212, PA28, B772 and a C750. The C750 was pointed out by P3D as an "Acme twin engine jet".

There's got to be something missing somewhere. I'm using the PE Client version 1.0.2 and P3D 2.2.

Is there a file I can add the missing ones to, as well as maybe change the wording for the C750?

Thanks!

Gavin

EDIT: Just saw the end of your Twitch stream, Keith. In fact, you parked right next to me on the SAN ramp! Although I saw my own PA28 from you cockpit window, I did not see your MU2. Also couldn't see the C182 that took off while you were setting up your next FSE flight.

Planes I couldn't see: B60, C206, MU2, C182
- PP ASEL, instrument, complex, high performance
- Member AOPA, EAA, IMC Club, Piper Owner Society
- Cherokee 180C owner
Keith Smith

Re: Some user aircraft not seen

Post by Keith Smith »

This is what happens if the PE client tries to create instances of planes that you don't have installed in P3D. Check out the pilotedge\aircraft\pe.smd file. It contains the titles of the aircraft (with spaces converted to plus signs) that it will create and the relevant ICAO codes. The issue is not that you don't have an MU-2 or a 182...but rather than you don't have the planes that it's trying to create in absence of there being a specific C182 or MU-2 in the mapping file.

The PE.SMD refers to default aircraft for P3D v2.2, so they really should be there unless you have taken action to remove them.
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

Looking at my SimObjects/Airplanes folder, I have each one that's listed in the pe.smd except for the Lockheed C69A.

I do have FSX installed also, but was going to remove it at some point. Are the aircraft that I should copy over from it that might solve my missing aircraft issues?

Below is my pe.smd file, and below that is a screen shot of my Airplanes folder contents.

Thanks!

Gavin

PED
PilotEdge P3D Stock Models
For use with P3D only
http://pilotedge.net

; Standard P3D aircraft
;
Alabeo+Extra+300s+Red E300
Beech+Baron+58+Paint1 BE58
Beech+King+Air+350+Paint1 B350
Bombardier+CRJ+700+Paint1 CRJ7
Carenado+A36+Bonanza+Stripes BE36
Commercial+Airliner+Paint2 B738
DeHavilland+Beaver+DHC2+Paint1 DHC2
de+Havilland+Dash+8-100 DH8A
;F-35A+Lightning+II F35
Grumman+Goose+G21A+paint2 G21
T-6+SP2+#3 TEX2
Lockheed+C69A CONI
Learjet+45 LJ45
Maule+M7+260C+paint1 M7
Mooney+Bravo M20T
Piper+Cherokee+180 P28A
Piper+Cub J3

photo.jpg
photo.jpg (97.45 KiB) Viewed 7753 times
- Cherokee 180C owner
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good info, thanks. Are you running the PE P3D executable or the PE FSX executable?
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

I only installed the PE P3D executable 1.0.2. Never saw a need to install the FSX version, since I haven't run FSX in months.
- Cherokee 180C owner
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Gavin,

That's odd, then, I wonder which of the underlying aircraft aren't working. If you are able to test with a friend, see if you can test each of the planes in that list (using the specific ICAO codes from the file) and let me know if any of them didn't work. If you aren't able to do that, I will see if I can do it this week, otherwise it'll have to be when I return from OSH next week.
gavink42

Post by gavink42 »

I'll do some testing on various ramps that have traffic on them.

In the meantime, could you give me a rundown on the flow that happens when PE sends an aircraft I do have (like the PA28) -vs- when it sends one that I don't?

I'm a bit confused by the various files involved, and the sequence of look-ups/referrals that is supposed to happen that results in another aircraft being displayed.

Thanks!

Gavin
- Cherokee 180C owner
par2005

Post by par2005 »

So I was to participate in this event tonight with people chatting on CTAF. What happened was I could not see a single aircraft around me, which made things quite frustrating. I started looking around and found this thread.
It helped me debug and find a few things. Initially I thought it's to do with airport elevation, but it's not.

I am using P3d 2.5 and p3d PE client

pe.smd file is quite empty - I don't know if it's the same with other clients
PED
PilotEdge P3D Stock Models
For use with P3D only
http://pilotedge.net

; Standard P3D aircraft
;
Alabeo+Extra+300s+Red E300
Beech+Baron+58+Paint1 BE58
Beech+King+Air+350+Paint1 B350
Bombardier+CRJ+700+Paint1 CRJ7
Carenado+A36+Bonanza+Stripes BE36
Commercial+Airliner+Paint2 B738
DeHavilland+Beaver+DHC2+Paint1 DHC2
de+Havilland+Dash+8-100 DH8A
;F-35A+Lightning+II F35
Grumman+Goose+G21A+paint2 G21
T-6+SP2+#3 TEX2
Lockheed+C69A CONI
Learjet+45 LJ45
Maule+M7+260C+paint1 M7
Mooney+Bravo M20T
Piper+Cherokee+180 P28A
Piper+Cub J3
What is missing here is obviously all the other codes people are flying. And if the person is flying PC12, or even such popular aircraft as C182 or 172, they will not be displayed to you. I have added to the end of the file just a few popular models, and after reconnect all those people appeared.
C172R+default C172
C182_N6182G C182
Sadly there are many more codes to add, to actually be able to see every single person who's flying.

Why is PE client for P3D missing so many aircraft? Can PE fallback to a standard model (i.e. Mooney?), if it's not on file? Or I misunderstand the use of this file?
Last edited by par2005 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'quite empty. Those are the stock aircraft that come with P3D (or at least, at the time we released the P3D client). There are other mapping files, too, which map the SB and VIP model sets that are also shipped with the client.

You're welcome to add more planes that might have, but it would be a mistake for us to ship with planes that people don't have by default.
par2005

Post by par2005 »

Thanks Keith, but I don't understand it still

Does that mean that if the person flying next to me is flying with the code which is not on this file, they will not be displayed, correct? At least this is what my tests are indicating. I've tried connecting next to different people in numerous airports, and the issue is easily replicated. I can't see them, I add their code to the file, and they appear.

I've checked other mapping files (SB and VIP) and C182 is not there. Same with C172. There's only "CE172" in the VIP file, but it's the wrong code?

If so, why not display a default model for everyone else, whose aircraft is not installed on P3D?