Radio knob bindings?

MEC387

Radio knob bindings?

Post by MEC387 »

Haven't been able to find the right words to get the search result I was after in Google so I thought I would just ask.

It is a huge distraction for me to try to spin the radio/nav knobs when hand flying. Usually end up all over the sky. I have fsuipc and p3d. I have an x55 with lots of unused rotaries on the throttle... Is there a way to bind some of those to the knobs in game? I have not seen them listed under axis...?

Thanks
PurdueKev

Re: Radio knob bindings?

Post by PurdueKev »

I think there is a way to do that in P3D with FSUPIC (registered version). I don't exactly know how to do it with rotaries, but so far just about any key-binding task I have tried with FSUIPC I have found a way to make it work. I know you could do it with toggle switches, e.g. setting one direction to repeat to increase the frequency of COM1 for example, and the other direction to decrease. FSUIPC might even read the knobs as axes or something and make it even simpler.
Kevin Jaeger
Rural MD (Washington, DC area near KFDK)
PE V-3
My Alphabet Challenge results
MEC387

Post by MEC387 »

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I've been watching some videos and tutorials on FSUIPC. I -think- I can set up a mouse macro and then assign it to a key. Then in the Saitek profile software set up a rotary to be a that key press. I'm going to try when I get home.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I don't have the Saitek model you have, so don't know if they are dual rotary, or single rotary. But the method of assignment is the same principle.

Rotary switches are pretty straightforward to set up. I have 4 dual rotary switches for COM1/COM2 and NAV1/NAV2.
Each "click" of the rotary knob while tuning is seen as a single button press for each click. Counterclockwise is seen as Button "A", the clockwise turn acts as a button press for Button "B": switch.

For COM1 :
FSUIPC Setting (On the right side of the FSUIPC screen, put a check mark in "Select for FS Control" <==** IMPORTANT** )

Button "A" (counterclockwise, large outer rotary) = Com Radio Whole Dec
Button "B" (clockwise, large outer rotary) = Com Radio Whole Inc
Button "C" (counterclockwise, small inner rotary) = Com Radio Fract Dec
Button "D" (clockwise, smaller inner rotary) = Com Radio Fract Inc
Button "E" (push/depress inner smaller rotary switch) = Com Stby Radio Swap

For COM2:

Button "G" (CCW rotation,large outer rotary ) = Com Stby Radio Whole Decrease
" "H" (CW rotation, large outer rotary) = Com Stby Radio Whole Increase
" "I" (CCW, smaller inner rotary) = Com Stby Radio Fract Decrease
" "J" (CW, smaller inner rotary) = Com Stby Radio Fract Increase
" "K" (push/depress inner smaller rotary switch) = Com2 Radio Swap

The only real trick was finding the correct FSX Function Name, as some of the selections from the dropdown menu didn't work as I thought they would.
These above assignments work for all aircraft that read the standard FSX functions. (At least all that I've tried -- stock FSX, Flight1 KingAir 200)

Don
MEC387

Post by MEC387 »

Thanks Don! I will give it a go.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

You're welcome, best of luck!

Don
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Have you tried SPAD?
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)