P3D V2.5 + PilotEdge Client = Occasional Major Stutters?

Mike Dart

P3D V2.5 + PilotEdge Client = Occasional Major Stutters?

Post by Mike Dart »

Hello pilots,

Not sure about this one, but my flight sim lags on occasion when I am running Prepar3D and the PilotEdge Client (specific version for P3D). Is this a problem for others? I'm running add-ons such as ORBX Global, ORBX Global Vector, Active Sky Next and A2A's 182, 172 and Cherokee 180. My PC specs are pretty much high end. This is P3D Academic as well. Does anybody else have this problem or is it just me...?

Best regards,

Mike Dart

- - - - - -

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k @4.3ghz

Cooling: Noctua NH-D14

Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro

RAM: Kingston Hyper X Genesis Blue – 8GB

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780

Case: Corsair C70 Military Green

Hard Drive: Western Digital Black – 1TB
Nelson L.

Re: P3D V2.5 + PilotEdge Client = Occasional Major Stutters?

Post by Nelson L. »

I don't know if the same is true for P3D, seeing as it runs on ESP, but in XP, there are scenery loading pauses if you have the sim installed on a HDD (I have XP installed on a 1TB WD Black - sim will have occasional freezes of 1-3 seconds when loading in a new tile). My pauses happen regardless of whether PE is running. With the plethora of addons available in P3D (and the amount that you're using), I wouldn't be surprised to see frequent freezes.

Note - Install a sim on a SSD at your own risk, too many writes to be in my comfort zone...
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Mike Dart

Post by Mike Dart »

Nelson, thank you for your response. Is there any way around this issue? I have not experienced any stutters / freezes of this sort when not running the PilotEdge client. It's quite unfortunate as it disturbs the flight quite a lot.

Mike D.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

I've seen the same stutters but while the sim is different, the tech is not:

FSX Steam Edition (don't ask, don't tell)
PE Client for Windows (SimConnect)
FSEconomy (SimConnect client)
FSRealWX Pro (SimConnect)

When the weather app updates and I'm in a heavy traffic area, I get stutters. This is different than frame rate lag just stutters because SimConnect is a little overloaded with updates. Could this help you diaganose the issue?

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Mike, if it is scenery loading and not SimConnect, the only fix is to install P3D on a SSD, which has faster reads. However, this will kill your SSD quickly as they have a limited write capacity. Then again, this could all be SimConnect or some other hidden culprit.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
Mike Dart

Post by Mike Dart »

Hey Steve

A quite an interesting diagnostic there. I haven't thought about the weather updates causing a load on the sim. My frames are in the high 40s-50s even with the weather, but when I get PilotEdge on the run with the weather and sim as well then that's where problems start to appear. I will have to do a small flight on PilotEdge (non-towered airport) and see how it handles there. Hopefully I can reply on my further investigation.

Mike D.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Mike,

You can try reducing your multiplayer visibility in the PE client. This will reduce the number of planes that are created and driven around by PilotEdge in P3D.
Ryan B

Post by Ryan B »

Nelson L. wrote:Mike, if it is scenery loading and not SimConnect, the only fix is to install P3D on a SSD, which has faster reads. However, this will kill your SSD quickly as they have a limited write capacity. Then again, this could all be SimConnect or some other hidden culprit.
This is BS man. Even TLC SSD's can survive a long long time with many writes. I can find the link at this very moment but there's a site that tested a few SSD's by constantly writing to them. The shortest lifespan would be just over 7 years. I guarantee having all these sims even on one SSD won't be as many writes as these guys tested.

edit here's the link:
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the- ... e-all-dead

An excerpt from the article:

"The first lesson came quickly. All of the drives surpassed their official endurance specifications by writing hundreds of terabytes without issue. Delivering on the manufacturer-guaranteed write tolerance wouldn't normally be cause for celebration, but the scale makes this achievement important. Most PC users, myself included, write no more than a few terabytes per year. Even 100TB is far more endurance than the typical consumer needs."
PE ID: 29
FAA ATCS
FAA PPL ASEL