Prepar3D v3 Being Released

BonanzaDude

Prepar3D v3 Being Released

Post by BonanzaDude »

While this might be good news to most, it really has me frustrated. A supposed version upgrade that seems more like minor version upgrade. Not only that, but previous v1/v2 users that purchased the software more than 60 days ago will have to buy the upgrade for full price, Lockheed Martin is NOT releasing a upgrade price. That is complete BS!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

From their website's FAQ screen:
I have Prepar3D v1/v2, do I get an upgrade or a discount for Prepar3D v3?
If you have purchased Prepar3D v1/v2 within 60 days of your purchase, per the refund policy, you can request a refund and then purchase the desired license of Prepar3D v3. There are no exchanges, upgrades, or discounts available.

Not only that they have also changed their license options so that legally most will have to purchase the Professional License.
Undergraduate Student
Training, Instruction
Simulation, Learning
K-12 Student
Training, Instruction
Simulation, Learning

All users above the level shown above must purchase the $199.99 package. Their licensing wasn't as defined before.

Quick question, does Laminar Research have the same mentality when it comes to upgrades? Will I have to pay again for v10.4. Or better yet, did v9 users have to pay full price for v10?

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
PP ASEL-IA - 1967 V35 N480H
Complex, HP & Tailwheel endorsements
My YouTube Videos
http://www.twitch.tv/Sim_Dude
Peter Grey

Re: Prepar3D v3 Being Released

Post by Peter Grey »

X-plane incremental updates (10.4, 10.5, 10.6) don't cost any money.

When they upgrade to X-plane 11 you'll have to pay up, there is no "upgrade price" that I've ever seen. X-Plane 10 was a new purchase for those who had X-plane 9 and the same applied for 8 to 9.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

Thanks Peter. Maybe that is more common than I am aware of. Being a FS2004 and FSX user for so many years we all know that they were rarely updated.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
My YouTube Videos
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

While you may not want to hear this, there's nothing preventing you from using the old P3D version for as long as you want. Is there some "must have" feature of V3? If yes, then the cost of that feature is a new license.

Just wondering how the P3D purchase really works. What documentation do they want to prove that I'm a student? To me a student is someone using the product to learn. I promise you that I want to learn how to fly in the real world. In my mind that makes me a student of aviation.

Unfortunately P3D has really had to tip-toe around those wanting to use their product for pure home simulation entertainment. In some ways I think they have adopted a "don't ask", "don't tell" model. What did you do to get the discounted V2 version in the first place?
Last edited by wmburns on Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BonanzaDude

Post by BonanzaDude »

The website actually shows K-12 and undergraduate users using the Acedemic version. That tells me anyone under mid 20's.

John
John P. Navara
zLAARTCC & PE I-11
My YouTube Videos
cruster

Post by cruster »

As an alumnus, my alma mater provides a .edu email address for me to use. Despite having graduated <cough> uh, a long time ago, I was able to use that .edu address to get academic pricing for Adobe CC. I'm not interested in P3D at all, but I wonder if they simply require a .edu address as well.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

P3D has "better" everything than FSX but in reality, it's still FSX-style at the core. Version 3 still isn't 64 bit, but does have extensive support for multiple large video cards and many features to make it a more commercial offering.

X-Plane 10 runs great on my older machine with even the GT640 small video card.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
davenicoll

Post by davenicoll »

Next question...

Will the Pilot Edge client work with v3??

Dave
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Yes, it's been tested with P3D v3. Simconnect hasn't changed, and that's what we use to talk to FSX/P3D.

This won't be a popular view, I'm sure, but you can't be surprised that they're actually getting more specific on Academic licensing with P3D. We all know that the vast majority of adults who were using P3D were doing so under the Academic license, a loophole which wasn't guaranteed to last forever. I have no idea how they're enforcing the new license, but it sounds like it's getting more specific to the academic world (k-12 and undergrad). Until P3D comes out with a license that's applicable to adult sim enthusiasts, this is going to be an ongoing issue and sends a message about who they are targeting with the sim for now.
snglecoil

Post by snglecoil »

Those of us with school-age children, and especially ones who are interested in aviation, have a legitimate argument for the academic license. But for what it's worth, I purchased V3 today and wasn't asked why I thought I qualified for the academic license.

V3 is not revolutionary, but they have definitely done some nice performance tuning under the hood. I look forward to getting on PE once a few other add-ons get sorted out.
Chris
PE Call signs: N714VA or N619CT