Transponder Issue

Caesar

Transponder Issue

Post by Caesar »

I was flying the A2A Cherokee 180 VFR and near the destination the tower controller asked me to turn on my transponder. I responded that my transponder was already on in the "ALT" mode. The controller told me something i had to do in FSX or Prepar3d regarding the transponder to get it working properly but I didn't catch it and didn't want to ask the controller to elaborate because he sounded fairly busy. Does anyone know what he was referring to? I read through a few pages of the forum (searching for transponder) and nothing seemed to apply.
Kevin_atc

Re: Transponder Issue

Post by Kevin_atc »

Try going to the START button on the client, TRANSPONDER, SQUAWK MODE C.

Something along those lines. Unfortunately some payware aircraft don't talk to the PE client when it comes to the transponder therefore you will need to do this every time you fly. I suggest just doing it right when you connect.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Caesar

Post by Caesar »

OK thanks for the info. I remembered something that happened during the flight, during cruise I went to turn on the autopilot master and accidentally turned off the avionics master instead. I immediately turned the avionics back on but I'm wondering if that reset my transponder (even though it was still switched to ALT).

I'm going to try my first IFR flight tonight when it's not very busy so I will try to work out the transponder issue then as well. Thanks again.
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

On a recent flight I was assigned a beacon code by clearance delivery.
When I was airborne, the controller said that I was squawking 1200.
No matter what I did he only saw 1200.
He said I could set the code in the “client” by typing, “.X”
I have no idea where to type this. (I don’t even know what the “client” is.) And when I click Start, Transponder, I don’t see any place to type in the code.
Can someone please elaborate?
Thanks Much

(What a dope I am. I use FSX, not prepared.)
This space intentionally left blank
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

in the main client window, where you have that Start button and use it to connect, there's a black horizontal line to type text. the ".x" command is a Squawkbox shortcut
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

I tried ".X' But it read "syntax error."
So I tried just "X" with 4400 as a transponder code.
It read, "MARCO55 x4455"
I assume that's the code the controllers will see?
Also if I use this feature to set a code, then, can I disregard what is set on the airplane's transponder?
Thank you for your help, Steve.
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

I'm going to offer a different solution to this issue.

A controller saying you are squawking 1200 when your transponder indicates a different code usually means you have been disconnected to the server and then reconnected (this can happen automatically without you realizing it).

When you connect to the system in FSX the transponder is sent as 1200, this is due to limitations of what FSX let's us "see" within the sim. When you change the squawk code the new updated code is sent to PilotEdge.

So if this happens again, simply change 1 digit of the code and change it back, that should "sync" your transponder to PilotEdge and solve the issue.
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
Mudhen

Post by Mudhen »

Thank you, Peter.
I'll try both.
I know the F-100 was modified for TacPack and the transponder was modified to use as an online IFF.
This may also impact the way it's used as a traditional 4096 transponder.
At least now I have a solution.
Thanks for the replies.
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

Mudhen wrote:I know the F-100 was modified for TacPack and the transponder was modified to use as an online IFF.This may also impact the way it's used as a traditional 4096 transponder.
I sometimes fly my F-14B around PE and to ensure I had a workable Mode C 4096 transponder, I installed a popup gauge with a transponder (and a Com2 radio) that I took from my Carenado Archer panel. I put in a clickable hotspot on the F-14 VC panel so I can call it up and set it before flight and usually don't have to call it up again after that. Also doesn't impact my TacPack ops. Not the simplest of solutions offered but an alternative.

Peter (or anyone else that knows...) I also fly FSX boxed and I always set the transponder in the PE Client to Mode C prior to movement and I also set my transponder in the airplane to Mode C just out of habit. How can I tell (other than just asking a controller) if the airplane selection is sufficient or do I always need to set the client?
Thanks,
Bruce
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Bruce--I do the same thing with the transponder in plane and the client. The difference on the controller scope is very obvious, so if you have a new plane that might have any question at all, when you call for clearance, ask the controller to verify your transponder status. I have to do that in X-Plane from time to time because that sim's PE client has no transponder interface. If the aircraft in X-Plane is configured wrong or there's no knob to turn the transponder on, then you're out of luck short of programming a keybinding.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge