Transponder questions

Ben74

Transponder questions

Post by Ben74 »

It seems like a real shame that I can't assign a key to enable the PE transponder, like I can for PTT. It's really annoying to have to tab out of P3D in order to turn the transponder on when taking the runway. How do others handle this? If I turn the transponder on in the PE app, but leave the transponder in the sim on standby, do the PE controllers still see it?
Donovan

Re: Transponder questions

Post by Donovan »

If you have FSUIPC, you can easily assign the transponder to a key or keys (or buttons) for STBY and Mode-C ALT as well as IDENT.
As to whether or not your particular plane's transponder gauge is already coded to support this by its own coding without using FSUIPC depends upon the plane. Some payware planes support this already coded, some do not.

Don
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

For what it's worth, the current guidance in the AIM is to leave transponders in altitude mode, even on the ground. I don't use P3D so I don't know if the client saves the transponder setting between sessions, but at least you don't have to change it at the end of the runway.
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

I may be wrong but it's my understanding that FSX/P3D doesn't allow third party access to the transponder settings. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Kyle Sanders
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:I may be wrong but it's my understanding that FSX/P3D doesn't allow third party access to the transponder settings. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
Donovan wrote:If you have FSUIPC, you can easily assign the transponder to a key or keys (or buttons) for STBY and Mode-C ALT as well as IDENT.
As to whether or not your particular plane's transponder gauge is already coded to support this by its own coding without using FSUIPC depends upon the plane. Some payware planes support this already coded, some do not.

Don
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

FSX and P3D both permit it (via Simconnect ).

Else how would the PE Transponder work? Its "third party" as an addon. (so are vPilot, FSINN, Squawkbox as used on another multi-pilot network)

The setup is well documented and implemented easily. Maybe we're talking about two different aspects of this?

For one example of "already coded" is the G1000 in the Flight One King Air B200. The only problem I used to have was Garmin's automatic switching to STBY when the plane landed (which was a problem when landing at KSNA, as it "over-rode" any setting on the PE Transponder) which I solved with a lua script and FSUIPC. An example of "not coded" is the Carenado Baron 58, which I implemented STBY, ALT, and IDENT using FSUIPC (and a short lua script). I could have just as easily done it using the FSUIPC dropdown key/button assignments and no scripting, but chose to write a lua script to assign these functions to the click areas of the buttons.

On the other point Ryan raised, I believe that the use of ALT on the ground is as per the AIM states “On when departing the gate or parking area until it is shutdown upon arrival at the gate or parking area" (i.e. the "movement area".), but I see how it would be easiest practice to sidestep all of this by just setting the PE Transponder to "ALT/Mode C" ON, and leaving it that way. About the only exception I can think of off hand, is those cases such as mine, when the plane transponder gauge software over-writes the PE Transponder settings, so you would need to have the ability to set the transponder mode in-sim.

Don