Volume issues

Turner

Volume issues

Post by Turner »

Hi all-

When not inside P3D, voice sounds great.

When in P3D, even with engine volume all the way down, voice gets very muffled.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew
Donovan

Re: Volume issues

Post by Donovan »

A second sound card (does not have to be an expensive one) for the voice worked wonders on my system. You will having differing opinions regarding a USB sound card, vs a PCIE card. I use a PCIE Sound card, because I have so many USB devices, and was having IRQ conflicts and latency issues that were causing crackles and audio dropouts.

I have the aircraft sounds all through the onboard sound, and the PE Client through the second sound card (selected after logging on, then to Options in the PE Client dropdown menu, VOICE Tab, and Selecting the second card from the dropdown.)

For some reason though, I have to re-select it and Apply it again at the start of every new session - but works great. I just consider it one of my pre-flight checklist items.

Don
Turner

Post by Turner »

Thanks Don- I think I may try that. I will mess around with my setup a bit more because I hate dropping $30 for something I haven't really needed, but if that's the only option I'll have to do it.

cheers
Andrew
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Might be handy if you mentioned:
  • Windows version (win7, win8, win10)
  • Which audio device is being used (USB, built in analog).
  • USB type (2.0 or 3.0). If using USB 3.0 confirm that the MB chip set drivers have been installed.
  • Mother Board
  • Other USB connected devices
Confirm which audio drivers are being used for the MB built in analog audio (Microsoft standard or mother board supplied). Generally speaking the MB supplied drivers should be tried first.

Confirm if there is other software installed. Why is this important? Because some mother boards include optional sound effects and/or mixing software as a value add.

In addition, regarding which audio device is being used. If currently using USB, try the MB built in analog.

If using USB, try different USB ports. Why could this matter? Because there are power limits per USB plug set. If there are other USB devices sharing the same buss sometimes this can draw too much power. Either add a powered USB hub or switch to a different USB plug set. In my own case I have a TON of USB connected Saitek devices. I had to experiment to find which combination of USB would not overload the USB power limit. In fact my system uses adapters to add additional USB outlets in rear expansion slots (most after market MB's have unused USB pin sockets).

Here's an example of one way to add more USB ports when there are extra sockets available on the MB. Each new set gives a new USB power budget.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812200086
Turner

Post by Turner »

wmburns wrote:Might be handy if you mentioned:
Ok, I'll see what I can figure out:

Dell XPS 8300
intel core i5-2320 cpu 3.00ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 ti
Windows 7 Home Premium
Sound: Not sure; I have "Nvidia Virtual Audio Device", "Nvidia High Definition Audio", and "High Definition Audio Device".
USB: 2.0
Mother Board: Not sure how to determine this, but it's stock.
Other USB Devices: CH Flightstick Pro, Saitek Yoke and throttle, Saitek Pedals, Saitek Trim wheel, Saitek Radio panel, plus an external hard drive. I have an external powered USB hub.

thanks!
Andrew
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

For the sound devices. Remember that HDMI connected devices allow for audio and video to run through the same line. This would be useful for cases where a TV with audio speakers is being used in a semi console set up.

If using USB headphones you are not using the NVIDIA sound devices.

Try using the front panel analog audio (MB built in audio). I have a less than $20 Logitech budget headset with mic that works well enough. Just be sure to get something that matches the connector type in use on your PC. Mine came with an adapter to convert the single 3.5mm (4 conductor) to (2) 3.5mm mic and speaker style (3 contact).

Another way to think about this. By switching from USB headset to analog headset you are using the sound card built into the MB. This option is cheaper/easier than using an external sound card.

Yet another way to think about this. I like to call this "addition by subtraction". Switching from USB headset to analog removes load from the USB buss thus freeing more bandwidth for "other" stuff.

When using a big box (Dell) mother board, the upgrade options are much more limited. However, one option is to use an "add in" USB card. However, with an "older" mother board (2nd gen Sandy Bridge I believe) spending too much $$ on upgrades could turn into throwing good money after bad.

The Dell XPS 8300 manual says there are (3) front panel USB groups on the MB. Try spreading the load out among as many different USB groups as possible (front and back). Using the adapter plate it might even be possible to convert front USB ports to rear. Just depends upon your layout. However if I were going this route I might consider an add in card instead.
http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-p ... _en-us.pdf

If this were me and I was trying to save the most $$, I would try the analog headset first. Any $$ spent on this option is not really wasted as they can be used on other systems.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Forgot to mention - I have a standard headset & mic (came with Comm1 Radio Simulator) that plugs into the mic and audio jacks...
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Turner wrote:Forgot to mention - I have a standard headset & mic (came with Comm1 Radio Simulator) that plugs into the mic and audio jacks...
Since already using the built in audio (handy to mention), try different sampling bit rates under the device properties page. Suspect there are different encoding bit rates being used.

Next try making things simpler.

Or try USB headset instead of analog.

The idea is to change some simple things and see how this affects how it works.
Turner

Post by Turner »

I'll try that now (sampling rates). Thanks!