Question for ORBX users

jiva602

Question for ORBX users

Post by jiva602 »

I have Global Base, Vector, and NA LC. Can someone comment on their experience with adding regions? With the new expansion, I am seriously considering adding the NCA, PNW, and perhaps SRM regions which are now on sale. Thoughts?

I have SoCal but honestly don't know if the area looks much better with the region since I got the region before I got Global, Vector, and NA LC.

Thanks,

Jiva
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
Matthias Geiss

Re: Question for ORBX users

Post by Matthias Geiss »

The regions add quite a bit of authenticity. Global and Vector are general improvements without focussing too much on regional characteristics. The regions on the other hand offer hand placed textures, landclass, autogen, landmarks etc., so the recognition value is much higher.

Also, regions come with their own detailed mesh, while Global and Vector just are placed on top of whatever mesh you have installed for the part of the world, which would be FSX/P3D default in case you aren't using an addon mesh.

Tl;dr: I would recommend the regions over Global+Vector if you fly a lot in those places, especially when doing VFR flights. I had all regions except for Australia and Norway before ditching FSX and Prepar3D for X-Plane and it definitely was a joy to fly there.
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

Matthias Geiss wrote:The regions add quite a bit of authenticity. Global and Vector are general improvements without focussing too much on regional characteristics. The regions on the other hand offer hand placed textures, landclass, autogen, landmarks etc., so the recognition value is much higher.

Also, regions come with their own detailed mesh, while Global and Vector just are placed on top of whatever mesh you have installed for the part of the world, which would be FSX/P3D default in case you aren't using an addon mesh.

Tl;dr: I would recommend the regions over Global+Vector if you fly a lot in those places, especially when doing VFR flights. I had all regions except for Australia and Norway before ditching FSX and Prepar3D for X-Plane and it definitely was a joy to fly there.
Thank you Matthias! So, what about the NA Land Class? How does that fit in all of this? Sounds like regions are definitely a step up from Global/Vector but what about compared to the NA LC?

BTW, I will experiment with Xplane 11but I am (quite happily) sticking with P3D for moment.
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11
Matthias Geiss

Post by Matthias Geiss »

If you combine Global, Vector and OpenLC, you will have a very good rendition of north america, but I still think that the regions are better. That being said, OpenLC seems to do a good job in bringing more diversity and realism to the scenery.

Orbx has a sale running atm., so you could get one region relatively cheap and compare it to the Base/Vector/OpenLC scenery. If it's a big enough improvement, you can then add the remaining ones.
jiva602

Post by jiva602 »

Matthias Geiss wrote:If you combine Global, Vector and OpenLC, you will have a very good rendition of north america, but I still think that the regions are better. That being said, OpenLC seems to do a good job in bringing more diversity and realism to the scenery.

Orbx has a sale running atm., so you could get one region relatively cheap and compare it to the Base/Vector/OpenLC scenery. If it's a big enough improvement, you can then add the remaining ones.
Yes, the SALE is exactly what is driving my curiosity. Thanks for your input, friend - See you in the pattern :D
Cessna Skylane N108ES
Socata TBM 850 N852XM
CAT 11