P3D PE ATIS sound fading (tried fixes)

bjratchf

P3D PE ATIS sound fading (tried fixes)

Post by bjratchf »

I found a few of the posts about when PE Atis conflicts with the automated in-simulator ATIS. I've set my communications tab in my sound properties to "do nothing" and in simulator, the "voice" slider is turned down to 0% and unchecked.

What is happening is when I tune to ATIS, I'll hear the pilotedge ATIS broadcast momentarily at a normal volume, and as soon as the scrolling text appears with the "in sim ATIS"- the voice voice gets muffled to barely audible. If I go to the settings menu, the PE ATIS voice returns to a normal volume. Is there anything else I can do to completely kill the internal P3D atc/ATIS?
bjratchf

Re: P3D PE ATIS sound fading (tried fixes)

Post by bjratchf »

Happened again today...

Tuned into BUR ATIS while trying the CAT 8- the ATIS broadcast and controller simultaneously went to almost mute. I double checked that "communications" tab to make sure the button "do nothing" was checked "when windows detects communications activity"

When I turn the ATIS back off (stop monitoring COM 2), the volume returns to normal.
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

Go to that 'Communications' tab, if it is checked, uncheck it by selecting something else, and 'Apply' that other setting, then reselect 'Do Nothing' and 'Apply' that setting again. Then try the sim. I know it doesn't make sense but RealTek drivers sometimes revert to the 'Reduce by 80%' on a restart or something and even though they show 'Do Nothing' the driver reduces the volume by 80% as though you were receiving a phone call.
Commercial / Instrument / KMLB
bjratchf

Post by bjratchf »

That worked very well!
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

bjratchf wrote:That worked very well!
I just do that now before every flight.
MervA

Post by MervA »

bbuckley wrote:Go to that 'Communications' tab, if it is checked, uncheck it by selecting something else, and 'Apply' that other setting, then reselect 'Do Nothing' and 'Apply' that setting again. Then try the sim. I know it doesn't make sense but RealTek drivers sometimes revert to the 'Reduce by 80%' on a restart or something and even though they show 'Do Nothing' the driver reduces the volume by 80% as though you were receiving a phone call.
Wonderful. that fixed it for me too, thanks Bruce.

Just moved over from Win7 to Win10, so hadn't come across this lovely bug before, great !! something else I have to remember before startup.

Merv
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7 9700K 4.9 Ghz | BeQuiet Fan Cooler |32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Nvidea GTX 2080 Ti 11GB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB x 2 | 2 x Acer XB280HK 28" 4K/2K G-Sync Monitor
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

MervA wrote:Wonderful. that fixed it for me too, thanks Bruce.
A little payback for all the great work you did on Mode C. I've taken your work and expanded on it to add functionality to transponders like the GTN750.
Have a g'day Merv.
MervA

Post by MervA »

bbuckley wrote:
MervA wrote:Wonderful. that fixed it for me too, thanks Bruce.
A little payback for all the great work you did on Mode C. I've taken your work and expanded on it to add functionality to transponders like the GTN750.
Have a g'day Merv.
Payback Time !!! Thanks mate.

Would that be the Flight One GTN750 Prrepar3D by any chance ?

Merv
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7 9700K 4.9 Ghz | BeQuiet Fan Cooler |32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Nvidea GTX 2080 Ti 11GB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB x 2 | 2 x Acer XB280HK 28" 4K/2K G-Sync Monitor
bbuckley

Post by bbuckley »

MervA wrote:
Payback Time !!! Thanks mate.

Would that be the Flight One GTN750 Prrepar3D by any chance ?

Merv
No, for the RXP GTN 750. I installed it in the MFD of a Phenom 100 which has a G1000 so I wrote a lua script to sync input in the GTN transponder to the G1000 PFD. Then took your code to send PE mode C from the GTN and added some logic to keep PE in mode C even when the GTN switches to ground mode.
Spoffo

Post by Spoffo »

One more big "Thank You!" I've been running the same P3Dv4 installation on Win 10 for a couple of years without ever encountering this problem, then suddenly it appeared big time. Not just ATIS, but all comms: sometimes it would be triggered by a frequency switch, other times just out of the blue all comm sounds would drop to barely audible levels, then would jump back up after a minute or so.

I found another post in this forum that mentioned the importance of having "do Nothing" checked in that CP, but when I looked, that was set right, so I was off chasing every conceivable wild goose. I was just about resigned to flying with the headset source mixer open on my 2nd monitor all the time, when I found this thread. Sure enough the forced reset solved it.

(as a Mac loyalist for 30 years or so, it's things like this that guarantee I will NEVER love Windows.)

Cheers