Flying the Alphabet - AOPA Article as Inspiration

36 leg Achievement
stevekirks

Re: Flying the Alphabet - AOPA Article as Inspiration

Post by stevekirks »

Keith:

Would you consider making a separate subforum for this? I could write up the Alphabet Challenge "rules" in a post, have the links to MyFlightRoute, and some examples. We can also use that new subforum to post stories, route comments or other stuff.

Steve
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
kullery

Post by kullery »

stevekirks wrote:Another suggestion: Could you add a link to the TEC route search URL for the pair? If it's easy to do it that would be great and I can go through the pairs and find ones with TEC routes.
Hey Steve,

I had considered this but here was my logic for NOT doing it:
  • Since many of these flights are in/out of non-towered fields, there could be cases where a TEC route is applicable however it is not identified in the A/FD (nor in my data). As Keith has pointed out a number of times, TEC routes are area specific, NOT airport specific.
  • Part of the beauty of this challenge is that it takes us off the typical routes (it's amazing how many of these legs show ZERO activity in PEaware). As such, users are not likely to find "canned" routes in Flightware or other sources so a big part of the challenge is in the flight planning.
  • For legs between towered fields, simply select "Details"......if a TEC route is available for that leg, the button shown below will appear to allow you to select a TEC route (I realize it is one extra mouse click :))
    tec.jpg
    tec.jpg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 15005 times
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
kullery

Post by kullery »

FYI - For 5 years, Alphabet Challenge (http://www.myflightroute.com/atoz.php) pilots having been flying into NV11 (leg 24) without raising a question about the routing into restricted airspace (R-4808N). 76 pilots completed that flight. Now, five years latter, Kevin raises the question and we discover that the challenge was always intended to go thru "Yucca Valley" (L22), not "Yucca Airstrip" (NV11). Now corrected.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Plenty of discussion years ago about how it should be handled on PE here.
kullery

Post by kullery »

Thanks Marcus, nice find. I’m sure that I was aware of that discussion at the time but I have absolutely no recollection of it.

I went back and looked at Peter’s original post where he proposed the route. In that post he named the airport as “Yucca Valley Airport” but used NV11 as the identifier. “Yucca Valley Airport” is actually L22.
stevekirks

Post by stevekirks »

Hey everyone! I'm back snooping around here....what did I miss?
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge