Alphabet Challenge Leg 4 KDLO - KEMT

36 leg Achievement
Keith Smith

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 4 KDLO - KEMT

Post by Keith Smith »

Flying it /U, my plan is to use the NAV1 (with HSI) up until DARTS, then a right turn onto V459 using the NAV2 (which would already be configured in advance for that radial). As I'm joining V459 with NAV2, I'm going to reset the HSI for BERRI, flipping the NAV1 to LAX and intercepting the 009 radial. As long as the radios are configured in advance, I don't think this is going to be hard, even at 160kts.

It's a small number of operations:
1) turn right
2) flip NAV1 over to LAX
3) twist the NAV1 heading to 009
4) turn right again

I'd argue that it can be done in 60 seconds without it being frantic or difficult. If you arrive without the radios set up, you're done, though.
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

WM

I agree with you and your approach to that teeny segment. that's what I meant by "real world I'd fudge the turn". Meaning id Id berri then turn to intercept the next full segment without trying to establish myself on the short segment. Traveling 2-3 miles per minute and chopping of the corners means you're on that segment for about 15 -20 seconds.

Way too much monkey motion in such a short space. Arcing guidelines are generous enough to get you through that corner...

That's why I want to see Keith establish himself sans DME on that segment too on his Baron. :)

Todd
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Keith,

<<<<It's a small number of operations:
1) turn right
2) flip NAV1 over to LAX
3) twist the NAV1 heading to 009>>>>>

We're coming from the N. Where (or why?) do we turn right? I completed this flight earlier, but was actually vectored towards the field before getting to DARTS. That made it easier. :)

However, I had prepared to join V186 using the Paradise VOR (rather than LAX) on the 276 radial, as I was then set up for the VOR/DME approach, should I have been required to do it. The 1 degree discrepancy with an initial 095 off LAX is not of any consequence.

From wmburns:

<<<<I try to fly /A much of the time. Just looking at the chart, it seems to me to be too short of a segment to use the VOR to fly the V459 segment. I would be tempted to fly the V459 using the VOR and then DME to identify the BERRI fix. At BERRI, make a turn heading 139 towards DARTS. I would think that some turn anticipation based upon ground speed to prevent over shoot.

Then use the 2nd VOR to intercept the V186 segment. With the Victor airway being 4 NM each side of the center line, then it should be real easy to stay within the V459 limits while heading towards the V186 intercept.>>>>>

That would definitely work here as well.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Sorry, I didn't look closely at the direction of flight. That's ok, doing it in reverse is exactly the same workload. basically, I'll use NAV2 for the short segment.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Todd, I forgot to ask, were you VFR or IFR on this flight?
Talan2000

Post by Talan2000 »

It's MUCH harder doing it from the North, everybody knows Zoolander can't turn left :)

When I saw Keith say right turns, I was going to insist that he do 270 degree right turns for each intercept - but now the cat is out of the bag.

I'm sure this is a do-able flight maneuver, it's just one of those things where doing every step would get an above in airmanship but a below in headwork.

Go get'em!

T

EDIT - To answer Keith: IFR
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ok, I just flew it now since I had a moment and recorded it. It was the first attempt. I failed the DME on the Baron and I made sure the GPS was not on-screen (not that it would've helped).

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/5H-DQ3PlhHs (it'll be up there in 10 minutes, it usually takes a few more minutes for the HD version to become available on YT as it encodes it in multiple passes).

It was flown at 180ks over the ground. It took about 5 secs to be prepared for the DARTS intercept once I was on V459, so I had another 50 secs to twiddle thumbs. As you can see, it wasn't a high workload situation.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Oops, my earlier post said, "if you arrive with your radios setup, you're done, though." I meant to say, "without."
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Just watched the video.

Nice job, Keith :)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Looks like I was on the 190 radial now that I look at it closely, that's why I was right of V201 at the start.