Alphabet Challenge Leg 13 KMYF - KNYL

36 leg Achievement
Talan2000

Alphabet Challenge Leg 13 KMYF - KNYL

Post by Talan2000 »

Pilots,

This was a fun little flight as I anticipated flying the arc-tastic ILS/LOC 21R Approach into Yuma. I made not one but TWO gross heading errors on this flight that really embarrassed me...http://peaware.pilotedge.net/flight.cfm?id=87085

Lessons Learned:
Write Legibly: For some of us this is harder than you might think...But what has writing got to do with flying? Plenty if you hear, write and readback, "Cleared to Yuma via Fly Heading 270, MZB..." but mis read your own handwriting when setting up your radios prior to calling ground for taxi and set the heading bug to 220."... this gets you scolded by tower for executing perfectly (wrong) departure. Doh
220 or 270, I can't tell. Can you?
220 or 270, I can't tell. Can you?
h220-270.jpg (272.5 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
Can Dead Men Vote Twice At Elections? Probably not, but I seem perfectly capable of screwing up headings a second time. This time I somehow got it into my head that V66 was "due east" out of San Diego to Yuma and, I am embarrased to say, dialing in radial 090 and motoring along...for quite a long way before SOCAL asked me if I was trying to join V66? "well Duh, I thought proudly, I have got that needle absolutely centered." The turn left 050 and join the airway instruction did sorta burst that bubble. San Diego Variation is about 13E, V66 Radial 076, you do the math to solve this riddle :( By the way, at least this definitively proves I'm not following along with the GPS..so there's that :)

EDIT: I remember now how this 090 CRS happened. After the Departure Heading mistake, switched to SOCAL who gave me DIRECT MZB. Hit the Direct Button on the A/P which happened to be 090. Flew the 2 NM to MZB ... and forgot to redial 076 (probably due to the above...). Good thing I wasn't North of MZB when given DIRECT or I might be bobbing on a raft in the Pacific.

Tacans Are Terrific! Ok, I was very excited to fly this approach - and Keith had already clued me in on it's little tricks, viz. that the FAC requires you to tune the TACAN to get the DME...And that DME freq FYI doesn't appear on the approach plate! (evil!) I was so pleased with myself for staying right on 7 miles all the way along the arc that I let myself get surprised by the Lead in Radial and turn to FAC. Nothing earth shattering. Just watch out for it.
ILS-DME 21R Yuma.JPG
ILS-DME 21R Yuma.JPG (52.58 KiB) Viewed 3876 times

Enjoy your flights!

Todd
N3298S
Attachments
ILS 21R Yuma Plate.JPG
ILS 21R Yuma Plate.JPG (145.37 KiB) Viewed 3876 times
flyingdrill

Re: Alphabet Challenge Leg 13 KMYF - KNYL

Post by flyingdrill »

IMG_2773 copy.jpg
IMG_2773 copy.jpg (152.72 KiB) Viewed 3826 times
Prepared to do the DP from Montgomery, with the hold entry at MZB, but the controller gave me a heading off the runway, a climb and another heading to intercept V66. So, easier and quicker. Then it was a haul across uninspiring scenery. The weather led me to believe I'd get a visual on to 35, and that is what happened. Before I got to BZA, I was vectored towards the airport. I flew the downwind, and descended on the base. Turned where I expected the 35 would be, and saw a black strip which I realized was not the runway. Seeing another to my right, I figured that was it (I was lower by then, and it was further away then I expected so it looked shorter than it was - a classic illusion). Anyway, I corrected the situation and set myself up for a decent final and landing. No DME arc, Todd, but I'd flown it the day before. If you load the approach with the up to date data on the 530, you will see that the arc does not finish in quite the same way as the chart! It goes to a point called D053G, then off at an angle to (INTC) then to DHOME! An a/p will follow the arc nicely in GPS mode, but you have to revert to hand flying in VLOC mode for the last bit to intercept the localiser at MUDGY, which is not shown on the GPS. This is where you miss a separate DME, which you can switch between NAV1 an NAV2. The 530 gives the arc read out, and it is a help to put the ILS frequency into the 530 and NAV2. Then you juggle a bit. Definitely easier with a separate DME, and you have that in some of the older planes.

If someone can explain the difference between my 1503 cycle of navdata (from Navigraph) and the chart for the ILS21, I'd be interested to hear it.
RyanK

Post by RyanK »

The "D053G" in the GPS is the intersection of the BZA 053 lead radial and the arc. At this point you could begin your turn to intercept the inbound course, which is what the GPS is depicting. When I did this flight there were two aircraft being sequenced onto the ILS and another on a visual. Fun stuff!
Peter Grey

Post by Peter Grey »

The "D053G" in the GPS is the intersection of the BZA 053 lead radial and the arc. At this point you could begin your turn to intercept the inbound course, which is what the GPS is depicting. When I did this flight there were two aircraft being sequenced onto the ILS and another on a visual. Fun stuff!
This lead radial normally gives you 2 miles worth of lead, for most GA aircraft this is way too much which is what most likely caused your issues. You'll see this point on the chart as LR-053.

So reading the fix. D for DME Arc, 053 for the radial, and G for 7 DME (A=1, B=2, C=3, and etc.)
Peter Grey
PilotEdge Director of Quality Assurance and Operations
peter@pilotedge.net
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

Thank you Ryan and Peter. That makes sense. Basically, this data lays out a track for the A/P to follow (or hand flying that track), which just sequences one straight on to the ILS, but, as Peter says, more geared to faster planes. I still find it strange that the data does not mention the MUDGY fix at all.....

I did my RW instrument rating in a six-pack, and have learned the Garmin way of life since then (including the G1000, of course). However, there's always something to learn, and PE is a painless (and cheaper!) way of acquiring these tidbits of information. :D

Ryan, I had Yuma to myself! A lonely flight, with very little traffic to spot, or even have pointed out to me.